Mansplaining As Told By Leslie Knope

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

You’re getting really into something and people are listening and you’re like yes, you really believe in me, you believe I have authority!

Then suddenly, there’s a voice in the middle of one of your sentences.

And you’re like, “Hello, I’m talking thanks, rude interruption.”  But then you listen and it’s a dude… who’s saying the same thing you are and trying to explain what you’re saying to you.

At first, you’re willing to listen.  Collaboration is good after all.  

But you’re pretty cautious becuase it’s happened before SO MANY TIMES.

And then it starts… and he’s all like:

And you’re all like:

But then you realize it keeps going.  Let’s say you’re talking about perceptions of Mexico and you get this: “A lot of people look at Mexico like border towns, but you know once you get past that, it’s like Spanish-speaking Americans” aka I don’t know if you knew this, being all involved in political and cultural discussions with folks on and off campus, but, like, pretty much Mexicans aren’t some really foreign-y people, they’re, like, exactly like us you know, but like Mexican, and I just wanted you to know what Mexico is like because one time I went there for a week.

So you take a breath, and you’re all ready to get back in there because… 

But then he makes a comment on how you talk.  And you KNOW he ain’t in ANY linguistics classes or anything.  “There’s no need to be that cynical you know?  There’s nothing wrong with hope” = Your feeling about this issue is stupid and clearly you should just react exactly like me.

And then you try to explain how many times you’ve been disappointed after hoping, and this is maybe one place you don’t feel like being HAPPY and EASY TO TALK TO and being the ULTIMATE COOL GIRL, because it’s okay for the ladies to get angry/annoyed/upset and not always worry about the comfort of other people first.

And then he hits you with the big one: “ok ok wow, geez, calm down/chill out/relax.”

And suddenly you remember you were talking about legitimate things and you totally just got sidetracked because some guy felt the need to help explain to you what you were talking about in general.  You’re like, “yo, do you like to hear yourself talk?  What is this?  I just want some waffles, f*ck this.”

And then you remember it’s not his fault.  He was trained to think what he has to say is the most important thing always/that he knows everything/he definitely knows more than you even if he’d never SAY that or think that he thinks that.

Then you try to move on with your life, because if you kept telling people when they were doing dumb shit no one would want to talk to you.  So you ignore your own feelings that are inconvenient to others.

Then, because you’ve been socialized to be really good at avoiding conflict and stuff (and because it always sucks to be the “crazy cranky lady”) you convince yourself that there are: 

And you move on with your life, and if it’s someone you know you’re all:

And then you go on and keep kicking ass because you’re amazing and all you need is you.

I love you too, homie.

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Tuesday at 8pm in the Morcott Room.

A little obsessive about food blogs, books, Netflix, running, and obviously sleeping. It's not what you do, I say, but how you do it.