Deep Dark Thoughts: A Review of the Great God Pan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

On opening night, ticket in hand, I made my way to the Barber Theatre to see Davidson College’s performance of The Great God Pan by Amy Herzog and directed by Davidson’s own Sharon Green.

I don’t know what I was expecting. I had heard the play dealt with some very deep, dark, and moving material, but other than that I was clueless. The play dealt with some serious issues, from childhood sexual abuse to eating disorders to depression. They even included a section about Davidson’s Counseling Center in the playbook. But it was good to address these issues and give them serious consideration. It was a tough play to take in, and everyone in the audience took those laughs where they could just to relieve the tension. Yet, I’m glad the department made the move to talk about these issues, which I feel sometimes get swept under the rug.

The actors stole the night. Andrew Lott played the main character and he was absolutely fantastic. As I know Andrew personally, I think it really shows how well he played the character as I couldn’t distinguish between them throughout the show. Kessler Catteral and Dylan Goodman also gave stunning and deep performances, and Dana Marrero, while not a main character, gave incredible insight to those struggling with eating disorders and recovery.

Set design and lighting were also amazing (props to Neil Reda and Greg Thorn). The backdrop featured numerous panels with projected images, and the stage was divided into different rooms which represented different locations. It put the audience right up close to the action and made for an immersive show.

I will admit, my favorite part was probably a moment in the middle of the play that played like a music video. During a scene transition, Andrew walked around on the mostly dark stage. Music played and lights flashed, and it just felt surreal, like you were getting in the head of the character and the experiences he was going through.

It was a great production! Congrats to the cast and crew for all of your hard work!

Emi Moore

Davidson

Just an English nerd drowning in words. English major with a Film and Media Studies minor. Aspiring to write many novels, films, television shows, and video games. Avid reviewer of movies, theatrical productions, videogames and pretty much anything you can possibly review.