Campus Profile: Maura Tangum

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

(Maura and her dad pictured above.)

Maura is one of those people that is really hard not to just love immediately. You can usually find her welding in the VAC, capitalizing on Nummit’s avocado toast, generally procrastinating papers in search of adventure, jamming to the song “Monica Lewinsky” in the car on her way to the Restore shop, and rocking some outfit that you really want in your closet.

I recently caught up with Maura on her way to the VAC to get to know more about her and her unique views on fashion, life, and Mark Ruffalo.

Name: Maura Tangum

From: Atlanta, Georgia

Class: 2020

Major(s): English and Studio Art

Favorite music: Motown music of the 60s

Favorite Davidson memory so far: “Firing bronze outside in a furnace in the middle of, like, a literal hurricane.” 

Favorite dessert: “Red Velvet Cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory” (YAS)

Favorite song to jam to: “Do You Love Me” by The Contours.

Favorite book: “Little House on the Praire. Dove by Robin Lee Graham—it’s about a teenager who sails the world solo, and I think that’s where I got my sense of adventure from. Also, I love anything from Toni Morrison, especially Beloved. I saw her in person last year!!! It was a great moment for me.”

Words to live by: “Any Eleanor Roosevelt quote.”

First thing you should know about Maura: “I’m a Fruity Pebbles enthusiast.”

Favorite T.V. show: “Northern Exposure. It’s from the 90s. It’s about a small community in Alaska. Mainly because I’m in love with a young John Corbett. Before he got all old in My Big Fat Greek Wedding.”

Favorite movie: Roman Holiday.

Favorite decade: 50s, minus “all that gendered stuff.”

Least favorite fashion trend: “Birkenstocks. I don’t get them. Just, why?”

Celebrity crush: Ethan Peck, better known as the grandson of Gregory Peck. Also, Mark Ruffalo in 13 Going on 30.

Tell us your sense of style, Maura:

“Classic, with a vintage feel. Unless I’m going to the VAC, then I look like garbage. If you want to see my good outfits, catch me at the Farmer’s Market on Saturday morning.”

What are some fun facts about yourself? “I can weld. I have a twin brother. I lived in California for a few months when I was little. I’m distantly related to Eli Whitney, creator of the cotton gin.” (Ok, the Eli Whitney thing is hella impressive).

What’s your fashion inspo?

“Jenny Walton. We’re the same. We both love vintage clothes; we both love Audrey Hepburn. She’s a street fashion designer. I just know we would be friends.” Also, Russian fashion designers Miroslava Duma and Ulyana Sergeenko.”

What’s the best thing you’ve found thrifting? “My suede skirt from the 60’s. Also, my trench coat. I want to wear it in Paris one day.”

Tell us about your extensive adventuring:

“You got to spice life up with some random ass things that are just really weird. You have to have fun in unconventional ways. I do that by going on bike rides to undisclosed places. I never know where I go when I set off.”

So I hear tell you walked from Davidson to the heart of Charlotte, care to explain what the heck that was about?

“It started as a weird idea, but I have a tendency of turning a weird idea into an actuality. It was with my roommate, and the more people who told us not to, the more we wanted to. We followed the train track into Charlotte. No water, no food, no mace, no phone chargers. It was a good time.” (Said adventure pictured below.)

What are your future goals?:

“To go on more adventures, and to take it up a notch. Also, to do costume design and screenplay writing with my twin brother who wants to do film production. We’ll be a dynamic duo.” (pause) “Also, I want to learn to play the drums!” (Maura and her twin Liam pictured below.)

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Tuesday at 8 p.m. in the Morcott Room.