Bosom Buddies Breaks the Bank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

By now, I’m sure you’ve all heard about Connor House’s record breaking night on March 22nd when the annual Bosom Buddies gala in the Lilly Gallery raised $106,000 for Earlier.org Friends for an Earlier Breast Cancer Test. Every year the women of Connor work to raise awareness and money to fund research grants for an earlier detection test for breast cancer, so what made this year so special?

This year, Connor’s service e-board, led by Service Chairs Darden Callaway and Maggie Liang, focused on working with local businesses and on-campus groups in the months leading up to the event in March. As Maggie explains, “What I think we did really differently this year that made us so successful was having a lot of events throughout the year. One of our main goals this year was to really have a presence on campus, not just within the house, and to do more than just raise money. To do so, Darden and I, along with the 178 wonderful girls in the house, planned and executed countless (literally—I forget how many we did) events throughout the year ranging from tie-dying with freshmen, to Qdoba nights, and multiple Drink Pinks at Flatiron.”

Service Chairs Maggie Liang and Darden Callaway ’14

Heading into the night of the 22nd, the fundraising efforts were at an all-time high and seats in the Lilly Gallery were sold out, so when it came time for the silent auction, the girls had an idea that they would make their fundraising goal for the year, which was $80,000. The night ran smoothly as guests arrived, snacked on hors d’oeuvre donated by local restaurants and served by Connor women, and bid on various silent auction items, also donated by local businesses. After eating dinner, guests listened to keynote speaker Hernan Moyano speak about his late wife Sandra, who battled breast cancer. There wasn’t a dry eye in the house as Hernan encouraged the audience to “live with fearless joy,” just as Sandra did.

Keynote Speaker Hernan Moyano and Earlier.org Friends for an Earlier Breast Cancer Test Founder Martha Kaley

During the live auction, emceed by Campus Cutie Chris Trinetti, Darden and Maggie learned of Connor’s accomplishment. Reflecting on the moment the numbers were tabulated, Darden says, “When Maggie and I found out we beat $100,000, we were still sitting in the audience during the live auction – and I yelped! It was all I could do not to go up to the podium right then and there. We never expected to beat our previous records, especially since Connor had raised $90,000 in 2012. I was in shock. We walked up to the stage to close the event and announce the total, and a wave of emotion swept over me. I was incredibly proud and inspired, but also humbled that all of our work had yielded such unbelievable results. I couldn’t believe my four years working with Bosom Buddies were coming to an end, and on such a high note.”

Emotions were running high in the Lilly Gallery during Bosom Buddies as students, professors, family, sponsors, and community members supported Connor and their efforts to fight breast cancer. The money raised for Earlier.org Friends for an Earlier Breast Cancer test will fund at lease two research grants, and we can’t wait to see how the future of the disease will change because of Connor’s amazing efforts!