This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

If you don’t already have one, buy a planner for the upcoming year/semester/quarter. I promise it will make life much easier, and much more organized! If you already have one but don’t know how to use it here are some fun tips and tricks you can use to get started. If you’re already a planning pro but got off track this quarter, we’re here to help you get you’re life together and ready for finals!

1. Color Coding: A quick glance and you’ll know what you have to do. Color code it by class or activity for easier differentiation and add a little flavor to your planner

2. Make Lists: Take advantage of the extra space a planner gives you. Here are some of the list ideas to use for your daily tasks: to do lists, shopping list (grocery or books you want to read), party planning lists, etc.

3. Use Sticky Notes – For Temporary To Dos: Their easy to quickly jot down and once that task is accomplished it’s easy to remove.

4. Make Goals: Whether their personal or motivational it keeps you wanting to succeed. Jot things down you need to achieve in the next month or the next year! The options are limitless!

5. Add Motivational Quotes: By readings inspirational quotes that you’ve written yourself, you will cheer up and stay confident! Plus, its so it’s less boring and keeps you going when your feeling down.

6. Highlight Important Info: Invest in some colorful highlighters! Some things you need to do are more important than the rest, highlight them so you remember that they have to be done ASAP

7. Meeting Dates: Never be late or miss a meeting again. By putting them in your planner and maybe even highlighting them you will be ready and on time for every meeting. By keeping up with meetings for work and school, you will stay ahead of your weeks ahead. 

8. Organize By Class or Color: Some people would rather have their planner organized by color, some would rather have it by class, with what they have to do for that class. Regardless pick one and go with what works best for you.

9. Mark Fun Events: Do have a vacation coming up? Jot that in there. Is there a birthday or holiday coming up? Put it in there to motivate you! When you see your calendar filled up with exciting events, you are sure to look forward to you. Much better than looking at your finals schedule or all the assignments you have due next week… 

10. Cross Off Things You Have Completed: 

Not only does it make you feel accomplished but it gives you a visual of how much you’ve gotten done, whether you are crossing off a home to-do list or one for school, you will be able to see what’s going on and stay ahead of yourself. 

KEEP IT SIMPLE! A planner doesn’t have to be cute or decorated, fit it into your life and make it so it helps you succeed. Whether it’s simple black and white or color coded with cute stickers, a planner is a great day to day tool that helps you stay on track. Hope these tips and tricks helped! HC girls! Comment below if you have an planner hacks and tricks you think we should try out!

Half Puerto Rican Half Costa Rican with a passion to empower and inspire other women!