Kerilynn Egan Cooks Up Food You Can Do

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Watch out, because this Campus Celebrity just might be the next Top Chef. Kerilynn Egan, a sophomore Philosophy and English major, is an excellent cook.  The Irvine, California native’s love for cooking began when she was young and continues through her daily college life. Being allergic to frosting, you would think it would be awful making beautiful desserts, but Kerilynn’s gift of cooking is too incredible to ignore.

What made you get into cooking?
I started cooking with my mom and grandma when I was really young. My grandma is 100% Italian so she taught me how to make spaghetti and meatballs from scratch when I was little. I grew up watching Giada de Laurintes and Ina Garden, the Barefoot Contessa, with my mom. Now, I mostly make Italian and Mexican foods.

What is one of your own unique creations?
Everything on my blog is something I just come up with in my head, so pretty much everything I make is unique. If I had to choose something, it would be the shredded chicken tacos; they are the classic Mexican style tacos and probably one of my biggest accomplishments thus far.

What are the dishes you hate to make?
Honestly, I usually don’t cook anything I don’t like because I am really picky about everything. The textures of my meats, vegetables and everything have to be spot on for me to eat it. I have to say, though, making the Cornish hens was the worst because sticking your hand up a chicken’s a** is never fun.

What are your favorite dishes to make and why?
Personally, I am actually a baker. So, I started baking cookies and cakes and things, even though I don’t really eat them. I took wedding cake decorating classes and found out I was allergic to frosting. Plus, people get more excited about desserts anyways.

What is your favorite part about the cooking process?
It is nice to be able to start and finish something; it’s really nice to turn nothing into something.

What advice do you have for fellow college students for eating well on a college budget?
First thing, I would always recommend going to the Farmer’s market when it is in season because you get the freshest and cheapest produce. The produce is all organic and fresh produce really makes all the difference. Second, is not to be afraid of cooking or trying something new because you can’t become a chef overnight.

Check out Kerilynn’s unique concoctions here!

Ali Chastain is a sophomore majoring in Advertising in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication at CU Boulder. Even though her passion is in Advertising, Journalism has always been a close second, which is why she is stoked to be a part of Her Campus! Originally from St. Louis, MO, she calls Boulder her home away from home. She is a part of Kappa Alpha Theta sorority and is also employed at American Apparel. When she is not working or studying, she loves to run around her favorite trails in Boulder, stalk music blogs, and put her foodie-ness to the test at new restaurants.