Halloween Boulder Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

As far as Halloween goes, one can expect an array of exciting and memorable options to choose from. Whether you go the traditional route of costumes parties and pub crawls, or a more unexpected route of mind-blowing shows, such as I did, Halloween is THE holiday for everyone!

Anyone who’s familiar with Boulder/Denver knows that the music scene here is big and getting bigger. In lieu of the Halloweens I’ve always participated in thus far in college, this year my friends and I decided to hit up a few epic shows in the Denver-Boulder areas. On Saturday October 29, we ventured down to The Fillmore in Denver to catch a show with Mimosa- a West Coast performer who mixes the best of Dubstep, Glitch Hop and Experimental Hip Hop to produce creative new sounds and. Needless to say, the combination of costumes, light shows and mind-bending beats was enough to make this one of the best shows I’ve seen to date. As Mimosa’s webpage so accurately puts it: “Fans know Mimosa as someone who brings a ‘good-time’ energy that is as fierce as it is friendly, taking them on journeys through urban chaos and ecstasy. “  This statement could not be more true.

As if Mimosa wasn’t enough to kick off the holiday weekend, Saturday night in Denver was followed by Monday night at the 1st Bank Center, but this time with the one-and-only Skrillex. Skrillex is single handedly comprised of Sonny Moore, the electronic visionary behind his revolutionary music. Much like Mimosa, Skrillex has been described as “a mix of dubstep, electronic and glitch all thrown together”, and this show gave Mimosa a run for his money. The 1st Bank Center was packed to the rafters with party goers fully clad in their best Halloween costumes, getting down to Skrillex’s latest album, Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites.

So that recaps my Halloween weekend spent with two of electronic music’s greatest players. If you ever get the chance to attend shows by either of these artists, trust me when I say you will NOT be disappointed and it will be well worth your money! In the meantime, check out their tracks on iTunes or either of their webpages. Now, if only my ears would stop ringing from these face-melting bass blasts J. 

Anna is a Sophomore at the University of Colorado at Boulder studying Journalism in the News-Editorial track. She is very involved in her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta, where she is curerntly the Vice President of Development. Also within the Greek Community, Anna writes for The Odyssey, a Greek newspaper. With a spare moment, Anna loves capturing the beauty of everyday through photography, embarking on mini adventures, skiing the peaks, and sipping chai. Nothing relaxes her more than tying on her running shoes and exploring the mountain trails and soaking up Colorado's sun. A recent addition to the Her Campus Team, she is excited for what is to come!