8 Products to Keep you a Healthy, Happy, Sparkly Little Buff this Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

With Thanksgiving break in just a few short days, and Christmas break peeking its Santa shaped head around the corner, you can expect that the weather will only get colder from this point on. With the frigid winds of winter comes dry skin, chapped lips and split ends. Not to mention the last shred of your motivation is completely out of sight. But never fear, these 8 products will keep you feeling healthy, energized, and happier than you felt leaving your last class before break.

1. A monthly shipment of adorable underwear? Yes please

Christmas comes early (and stays late) this year with your monthly shipment of underwear from bootaybag, your monthly pick of always thongs, never thongs, or a mixed bag will be sent out after the 15th of every month. For only  $12.00 a month (if you can’t find one of their many discounts offered on a regular basis) and free shipping, you will feel extra fresh and pretty under those LuLu leggings and Patagonia sweatshirt from walking to your 9am to cuddling up in your own bed at home, you’ll feel like an angel all season long. Go on girl, treat yo self.

2. Keep your ears warm, unwashed hair contained, and help children fighting cancer

We all agree it is better to give than to receive, (unless we are talking Christmas cookies) so get into the Holiday season early this year. For every hat you purchase from Love Your Melon, one will be given to a child who is battling cancer. So for those on your list who you have trouble shopping for, give them the gift of warmth and mention that their stylish new winter accessory also contributes to the happiness of a child fighting cancer this holiday season. Extra Tip: to avoid the dreaded hat hair brought on by wearing tight beanies wrap your hair in a silk scarf to avoid the damaging friction that can be caused by your beanie.

”fifty percent (50%) of net proceeds on every Love Your Melon product sold will be donated to the Pinky Swear Foundation and CureSearch. Every year there are 15,000 children in the country given new cancer diagnoses. Through funding from future product sales, Love Your Melon will continue to give hats to all of these kids in addition to the 45,000 it has already committed to.” –www.loveyourmelon.com

3. Dry skin be gone! It’s cuddle season.

The harsh winds and dry conditions of winter do a number on your skin, this Lush product will keep you hydrated and silky smooth all over. I know what you’re thinking, “does this mean I have to shave in the middle of legging season?”, no girl, I wouldn’t do that to you. After you’re all clean, right before you hop out of the shower lather up in Ro’s Argan body conditioner – this is essentially hair conditioner for your skin. Chalked full of hydrating butters and oils including argan oil, vitamin E, fatty acids, brazil nut, almond oil, cocoa, shea, and cupuaçu. This product will keep your skin hydrated and looking silky smooth, plumped up and radiant, not to mention you will smell like a rose garden.

4. Avoid painful breakouts with this morning moisturizer.

Magical Moringa-  Time saver alert! Lush never fails us, this lovely face moisturizer also doubles as a primer to hold your foundation in place even longer, and provide a creamy mattifying effect.  Moisturize your face and prepare it for your fabulous holiday makeup routine at the same time. Keeping your skin moisturized will also help you to avoid breaking out from all those sugars you consume during the holiday season. And for those of you with sensitive skin who can’t use foundation, you shouldn’t have to worry about this causing any breakout because it is designed specifically for skin sensitivity. Pair it with the Angels On Bare Skin cleanser and your face will feel more refreshed, clean, and silky than ever before.

5. Lips ready to meet under the mistletoe

(or finish off the leftover casserole all by yourself)

Lush Lip Scrub- We all know that we have between 3 and 7 chapsticks somewhere in our backpack right now, but your chapstick may not really be moisturizing your lips at all. Before your lips can be properly hydrated you need to remove the dead skin, not only will this make your lips more susceptible to hydration, it will also increase blood circulation, giving your lips a much fuller and vibrant look. Just set your little jar of scrub by your toothbrush for a quick addition to your morning routine, with multiple flavors to choose from you really can’t go wrong here.

6. Keep your locks long and strong

The Oh HelloHair hydrating mask is sure to keep your strands nourished this winter, by deep conditioning once a week you can protect your hair against all that holiday styling and damage from the cold weather. Before leaving for class always make sure your hair is completely dry, the moisture in your hair combined with the cold air will only add further damage and make hair more brittle and dry. Keep washing your hair to a minimum, only two or three times a week to avoid drying your hair out even more. (a cheaper alternative to Oh Hello is this Monoi Coconut Oil from Ulta)

7. Don’t let the cold weather put you in a workout rut, feel good and look cute doing it

Score big on active wear this winter with Fabletics, your first outfit is only $25, (warning: if you don’t skip each month or cancel your membership after signing up you will be charged monthly) Worst case scenario you just add to your legging collection. “yes, I am a very active person, that is why I own these 32 pairs of leggings…” But seriously, exercise is hard enough when the weather is nice, but when the temperature drops it can be harder than ever to keep ourselves active, but if we just get out there and get going we will find that it’s actually a much more rewarding feeling when we exercise in the cold. According to Kevin Plancher, M.D., in his feature in Women’s Health Magazine.  “The heat and humidity in the summer can drag you down and tire you faster, but cold weather is invigorating,” he says. “It stimulates your senses, tunes you into your surroundings—it makes you feel alive.” There’s a biological reason for that: “All exercise can increase your levels of those feel-good hormones, endorphins, But because your body has to work harder in the cold, your endorphin production is boosted even more, leading to a happier state of mind.” Plus, the exposure to natural light is a known depression fighter, especially for seasonal affective disorder, a condition brought on by the shorter, darker days. (Read more from this article here in Women’s Health)

8. Teatox during your transition from break back to class to avoid uncomfortable bloating courtesy of all that eggnog

A Teatox is one of the healthiest, and most natural ways to keep your tummy in check without going to the extremes of dieting. My personal favorite is Flat Tummy Tea because it is designed to be supernatural and super gentle. As the holiday season comes to a close your flat tummy tea will put those sweet, comfort food cravings in check. There are tons of cheaper teatox alternatives out there but when it comes to going back to campus after Christmas Break *cringe* The last thing you want is to feel sluggish when you’re already homesick. Start your tea journey one week before the end of break and the first week back. By doing this you can cleanse your system, reduce bloating, speed up your metabolism and boost your energy levels! This way you will still have the appetite to enjoy your holiday meals, but you get a chance to recover from them before returning to school!

This winter product survival kit should keep you happy, healthy, feeling great and ready to go when Spring semester arrives!

Lauren is currently majoring in Psychology in the College of Arts and Sciences and minoring in Business in the Leeds School of Business, Leadership in the LSM Program, and Women and Gender Studies in the College of Arts and Sciences at The University of Colorado Boulder. On campus Lauren currently holds the position of Her Campus CU Boulder's Chapter President and Campus Correspondent. She also acts as an Aerie Real on campus ambassador, held the position of  Victoria's Secret PINK Campus Rep for CU for the previous two years, and acts as the social media chairman and event coordinator for the PSICHI Psychology Honors Club within CU's Psychology department.  Outside of school Lauren founded and owns Empyreal Photography. When she's not looking through a camera lens or somewhere drinking chai, you can probably find her in a yoga class, petting a dog, or daydreaming about New York City.  
Sko Buffs!