7 Reasons Why the Rocky Mountain Showdown is the Best Game Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Last weekend, Buff fans from near and far came together decked out in gold and black to cheer on their favorite college team in the Rocky Mountain Showdown. Held at Mile High Stadium, the CU v CSU game was a game that brought out the best (and the worst) of people, and their dedication to the state school that they support. In a close and nerve wrecking game, the CU Buffs beat the Rams by a score of 27-24 in the last minutes of overtime. Here are seven reasons as to why the Rocky Mountain Showdown is one of the best game days of the whole season.

1.     You get to wear the craziest CU gear in your closet

From tutus, to fake buff horns, to spirited school sock, to never ending gold glitter, CU students know how to make a statement at the biggest game of the year and show the fans of CSU that more school pride lays in the Buffs.

2.     Tailgating

Even if the game is in the late afternoon, Buff fans will wake up at the crack of dawn and start getting ready to begin their day with the classic CU tailgating HOURS before the doors even open, and the football teams arrive at the stadium.

3.     The party buses to the game

For most fans, getting to the CU v CSU game is all about transportation. The highlight of many people’s day is the 40 minute bus ride to the game, dancing and singing along with their friends to the best game day songs that there are to pump them up for the competitive game they are about to attend.

4.     The people at the game

For us CU students, being able to come together with a lot of CU’s alum and biggest fans is a reason enough to go to the game. Nothing is better than being able to bond with someone a lot older than you over your same love for the home team.

5.     Mile High Stadium

Getting to play at Mile High Stadium is one of the biggest perks of the whole day. Sure, the view of the Flat Irons at Folsom Field is great, but the view of the Broncos’ posters and the star players (cough cough, Demaryius Thomas and Peyton Manning) that are hanging all around the stadium is just as great of a view.

6.     The cheers

Every Buff fan out there knows the cheer against our rival CSU. There is no better time to chant these words at the top of your lungs than when CSU fans are on the opposite side of the stadium staring back at you.

7.     Win or lose, we get to call Boulder home

No matter the outcome of the game, we still get to go home to one of the most beautiful towns in the country, and there’s no better revenge than that.

Maddi Harris

CU Boulder

Maddi Harris is currently a Sophomore Public Relations major at the Univeristy of Colorado-Boulder. Growing up in New Jersey, her move across the country to Colorado for school has taught Maddi to appreciate the little things about her home state- mainly being the food that is made there. When she's not making use of the beautiful terrain that Colorado has to offer, she can be found decked out in black & gold supporting her fellow buffs on gamedays. In her free time she enjoys catching up on Perez Hilton's daily articles and obsessing over the different wedding dresses featured on TLC's "Say Yes to the Dress."