Why You Should Move to Vancouver After Graduation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

Having been born and raised in Vancouver, Canada, I find it hard to imagine any better city to live in. Though I hold a biased opinion, Vancouver is consistently ranked one of the most livable cities in the world, usually behind Copenhagen and Sydney. So when considering whether to move to New York City or San Francisco after graduation, make sure to add Vancouver to your list! Here’s what makes Vancouver so awesome:

1.  Diversity

Vancouver boasts one of the most ethnically diverse populations in the entire world. The melting pot of cultures allows you to meet so many different and amazing people from all around the world.

2.     Great food

The ethnic diversity of Vancouver results in a tremendous “foodie” scene with a variety of high quality choices. Whether you’re craving fresh sushi or chicken tikka masala, a high-end dinner or greasy brunch, you can find it all! There are also food trucks on every corner.

3.     Natural beauty

A common phrase you’ll hear in Vancouver is “Sea to Sky,” and the city’s landscape captures exactly that. Framed by the mountains and the Pacific Ocean, Vancouver’s natural beauty is truly magnificent.

4.     Bustling nightlife

In Vancouver, you’ll never be bored on the weekends. Davie St. Downtown is packed with an array of nightclubs to suit any taste.

5.     Arts scene

Since Vancouver is a large enough city to be on the radar of most big-name musicians, there‘s always a concert going on at Roger’s Arena every weekend. There’s also a large indie rock scene, as well as a large folk festival every summer. In addition, Vancouver is home to the Vancouver Art Gallery, which holds numerous exhibits every year as well as Bard on the Beach, a Shakespeare festival held in a large tent by the water. During the Christmas season, the entire city flocks to Enchant for its lights display.

6.     Outdoor activities

From skiing at local Grouse and Seymour mountains in the winter to biking along the Seawall in the summer, Vancouver has it all. As a city with a lot of natural forests, there are an endless amount of hiking and running trails for any outdoor enthusiasts. Outside the central city are small islands with campsites that are easy to get to by canoe, as well as beautiful glacier lakes. There are also many sandy beaches if your favorite outdoor activity is lounging.

7.     Professional sports spirit

Vancouver is home to a CFL, MLS and NHL team. But to be honest, as we’re in Canada, we only really care about our hockey team. Whether you’re at the arena or watching on the TV, there’s no greater feeling than bonding with your loved ones over the ups and downs of the Canucks.

8.     Awesome people

Vancouverites are known for their friendliness, Canadian patriotism, and respect for diversity. Through it rains all the time and housing prices are through the roof, Vancouver is a city full of love and the best place on earth!

Elizabeth Li

Cornell '19

Junior at Cornell University and President/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Cornell