Put Your Game Face On: How to Fit In on Game Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

It’s the Super Bowl. If you’re one of those collegiettes™ who aren’t as adept at understanding the language of the game, who could care less for beer and wings, or who simply just don’t care about any sporting event, here are a few ways to have fun on game day:

Stick yourself in the middle of the action. Yes, this may seem counter-intuitive, but no one will notice the person squished into the middle seat of the couch during the game. However, if you’re the lame person guarding the chips and salsa in the corner, you’ll stand out like a sore thumb.

Root for the local team. This is no day to start caring about the teams from your home state/region. If you couldn’t care less, don’t pretend like you do. No one likes an obstinate, uninformed fan.

Ask questions. But not during a crucial moment. People like to know you’re making an effort. Find someone willing to explain during halftime, or a commercial break. Or sit and listen to the many play by play breakdowns that will occur throughout the night.

Bring a friend. It’s always great to have a partner in crime. There’s nothing worse than bringing someone with you who will be absorbed by the game for the entire evening. Nothing will be able to distract them, even you. And that can be just boring. So bring or make a friend who’s willing to take breaks with you at the snack table or stretch their legs with a walk around the TV room.

Enjoy the ambiance. There’s nothing better than being with friends and family. If the game isn’t really your thing, just enjoy the scene. As one female student said, “I go for the party.” Watching everyone else freak out and get excited is fun and definitely provides you with opportunities to tell stories and make fun of them later.  

Elisabeth Rosen is a College Scholar at Cornell University with concentrations in anthropology, social psychology and creative writing. She is currently the co-editor of Her Campus Cornell. She has interned at The Weinstein Company and Small Farms Quarterly and worked as a hostess at a Japanese restaurant.