The Failures of One

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

Sexual Assault on college campuses is an issue that has placed both academic institutions and individual students under public scrutiny. However, it is rarity to find fault with journalistic sources reporting instances of college sexual assaults, which has just occurred recently as Rolling Stone Magazine retracted an article published about a supposed gang rape by a fraternity at the University of Virginia.

The piece is being criticized for its failures to accurately depict an actual occurrence of sexual assault, with The Columbia Graduate School of Journalism criticizing the article and magazine’s neglect to partake in, “basic, even routine journalistic practice”. The article has been further ridiculed for its failure to validate both the particulars of the assault it describes as well its source of information, who is only recognized as “Jackie” in the article. Sabrina Rubin Erdely, the article’s author released a public apology on Sunday, expressing her regret to “any victims of sexual assault who may feel fearful as a result of my article.”; Elderly will continue to write for the magazine, to the dismay of many, despite the massive issues found with her poor attempt at accurate journalism. Sexual assault on college campuses is a difficult enough topic already to discuss without publications producing work that does not speak to the reality of such occurrences that take place on college campuses. This article ultimately has impacted a variety of people, hindering the reputation of The University of Virginia and its students. Moreover, the consequences of an article of this nature can affect victims of sexual assault and make them feel as though they cannot share their stories out of fear that, writings such as this, will cause people to reject their actual ordeals.

These kinds of articles prohibit people from coming forward with the truth, and while the University and its students that have been directly affected by this article are entirely justified in their anger and frustration due to the false accusations imposed upon them, I strongly feel that at this time, it is severely important to let those who have experienced sexual assault and who feel that their story cannot be shared, because of instances like this, know that they are supported. Change and growth cannot occur without the recognition of the truth of current circumstances, and the failure of this author and magazine to do so, should not discourage others from feeling as though they cannot share their experiences.

This article truly only sheds light on its author and associated publication. This massive mistake should not prevent honest discussions regarding sexual assault on college campuses to take place. Everyone has the right to a voice as long as they speak the truth.

I am a Freshman Communication major at Cornell University declaring a minor in business with a concentration in marketing. I am originally from New York City and have lived there my entire life. My interests include fashion, travel, and writing. At Cornell, I am a member of the Hellenic Student Association. 
I am a sophomore Communication major at Cornell University, with minors in Creative Writing and Law & Society. I was born and raised in California and, besides writing, I have interests in 4-H, law and film production. At Cornell, I serve on the Literature Review, am an avid member of Film Society, work as a Cornell Ambassador and participate in AWC (American Women in Communication). I am also the Campus Correspondent for Cornell's Her Campus chapter!!