Why TIME Magazine Owes America’s Teachers An Apology

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Time magazine was recently under fire after publishing an article which criticized the effects of teacher tenure on our public education system. The War on Teacher Tenure”written by Haley Sweetland Edwards, specifically highlighted a group of millionaire Silicon Valley investors attempting to fix what many consider to be a broken system. However, perhaps the most controversial aspect of the weekly news magazine’s headline article was it’s cover. Accompanied by the caption “Rotten Apple”, it illustrated an apple soon to be smashed by an incoming hammer.

Unsurprisingly, this representation of America’s teachers resulted in nothing short of uproar from students, teachers, and administrators within the public education system. Within days, the American Federation of Teachers collected over 100,000 signatures protesting against the article. Furthermore, multiple protests were held in front of Time headquarters in the week following its publication. Yet somehow, despite this enraged response, Time delivered everything but an apology. In response to the article, Time editor-in-chief, Nancy Gibbs, released a statement claiming “Our mission is to spur discussion of important issues, and in the interest of an informed debate, I am making the story free for all readers onTIME.com … so everyone can judge for themselves.” Although this gesture was appreciated in addition to her closing remark stating “Time has nothing but admiration for America’s dedicated teachers and their commitment to excellence,” many were still disappointed in Time’s presentation of the issue and their response to its controversial repercussions.

The American Federation of Teachers has faced immense criticism in recent years from documentaries and publications which criticize the federation’s policies that keep bad teachers in our school systems. Many films, including 2010 award-winner Waiting For Superman, have directed harsh accusations towards the union saying that it is keeping our system broken and in need of repair. The federation’s president, Randi Weingarten, however, argues that Time’s portrayal of teachers, and the union which protects them, was biased against teachers and harmful to the students they dedicate their lives to everyday. “In schools we’re trying to help teach kids how to have a respectful, civil discourse with others. So when they see a magazine with a cover that smashes teachers, what is that teaching kids?” Weingarten asks.

Furthermore, it is also essential to note that teachers were not the only ones to take an offensive stand against the controversial article. Many parents and students were also disappointed and upset by Time’s portrayal of America’s dedicated teachers. New York parent, Natasha Capers, a coordinator for the parent-led Coalition For Educational Justice, was interviewed by the Huffington Post shortly after the article was published. In the interview she discusses the stigma and discrimination experienced by our nation’s teachers and the extensive inequalities that exist in our classrooms. “I just feel like the story does not get to the heart of the real issue, like of what are the things that create educational inequity and the lack of resources in classrooms,” Capers says.

Although the flaws within our current teacher’s union can be argued, Time’s negative presentation of our country’s hardworking educators simply cannot be disputed. Are there bad teachers in our system that tenure is protecting? Absolutely. But at the end of the day our nation can’t possibly function without the wonderful individuals who educate our children. Although Time presents many valid arguments and possibilities to fix the flaws within our education system, bashing our nation’s educators is certainly not a productive first step.

Her Campus Conn Coll