Tackling the Housing Lottery

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

The time has come to choose a room. You’ve heard all the insider trading information about where the biggest and best rooms are. You’ve walked into a room you’ve never seen before on a Saturday night and wondered, “Why is her room five times bigger than mine? How did she get put here?” We’re here to answer all of your questions with the expert advice of Sara Rothenberger, the Director of Residential Education and Living at Connecticut College. Not only is Sara a super helpful and awesome person you should get to know at Conn, but she also knows everything there is to know about the housing lottery. 

Situation: You’re a rising-sophomore. You received 37 emails that were pages long about what the housing lottery is and how it works, but you don’t have a clue. Let’s ask an expert!

PANIC! Am I going to be living in a tent on Tempel Green? What if rooms run out before I get to choose?
The exact kind of room you want, or building may be unavailable when you choose, but you’ll have a room.  Remember to have Plan A, Plan B, and Plan C for yourself.

What is the best first step for me to take when I get my assigned time?
Log on one hour prior to your time to see what is still available, you’ll also be able to see rooms disappear as they are chosen. (We know this can make people feel a bit frantic, but it’s so you can have alternatives when your first choice is no longer available).

What’s the deal with floor plans? Should I be spending hours and hours picking out the perfect room in the perfect location?
When it comes down to it, a bit of extra space here or there isn’t what you will remember about your college experience.  Sometimes the choice is between people or space.  We feel strongly that it’s people you will remember, not the four walls that surround you.

How do I know if a room is open for me?
One hour prior to your time you will be able to see availability.  You can ask the system to show you all available rooms, or  you can choose a building you can ask the system to show you all available rooms in that building.

I’m bugging out! What is the MOST important piece of advice you can give me? 
Have options for yourself.  If there is only one room in one building that you have your eyes on, chances are you will be disappointed that it is gone.  Trust our system and make sure you put all of your preferences in MyHousing!

Situation: You’re a rising-junior. You were on the singles-wait list last year and don’t know much about the process of choosing a room because, well, you’ve never done it before. 

Okay, I got my number 500-1000. Does this include all juniors, even the ones who are going abroad in the fall? I guess what I’m trying to ask is, will my number get better or is everyone choosing a room?
Every returning student does choose a room, including those who don’t know as of yet if they will be going abroad.  This is why we have a room change lottery in the summer because spaces will inevitably open up over the course of time.  This is also how we house students off of the singles waiting list.

If I end up with a room I am really not happy with, can I switch? How does that work?
Most likely, yes.  There is a room switch lottery over the summer, and Marie Lalor, the Assistant Director of REAL, works with several students over the summer in order to get them to a place that suits their preferences better.

What question do students most frequently ask you?
1. “What are my chances of getting x, y, or z room?”  
There is no way for us to predict these sorts of things.  Some building are more popular than others, but those preferences seem to change over time.

2. “Can I switch my lottery number with someone not using theirs because they are in a Speciality Housing process?”
No! There is no lottery number switching.

3. “I was placed in doubles lottery and I want a single, what do I do?”  
Don’t pick a room (we know, it feels wrong).  By not picking a room, you will automatically go on the singles waitlist.

What happens if I am not happy with an apartment choice I made? Is there any way to switch from a Ridge/Winchester to a room?
It may be possible, though it does create difficulties for the remaining people in the apartment.  They went through the process all together and now they have a space that will get filled by someone.

I’m sitting at my computer 2 minutes before my assigned time….and it crashes. Who do I contact ASAP? What do I do, short of sprinting to the library?
We feel strongly in our office that even though this is a high-tech process, it shouldn’t lose it’s high-touch aspects.  Our staff will be available via google chat housing@conncoll.edu on the nights of the lottery as well as answering our phone (860)439-2834.  If this happens, please reach out so we can help you.

I am a junior and a Campus Correspondent for Connecticut College! I am majoring in American Studies and a PICA scholar. I was a High School Ambassador for HerCampus in 2010-2011 and a contibuting writer 2011-2012. I love writing, editing, and social media. This fall, I am a Student Coordinator for the Women's Center, a photographer for College Relations, and am also a member of SafetyNet. When I'm not writing, I love being outside and enjoy many many different types of music. I also enjoy shopping at the Container Store, sharpie markers, thunderstorms, onesies, Gilmore Girls, The Newsroom, New Girl, 60 Minutes, and The West Wing.