This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

One of my favorite city destinations just has to be Bangkok, Thailand. It’s incredibly vibrant and there is plenty of fun things to do for every type of traveler. And although Thailand has become more touristy in the past few years, this also means that flights can be cheaper if you plan it right. I spent three weeks in Southeast Asia during winter break this year, and I managed to snag roundtrip tickets from Vancouver, Canada to Bangkok for just $550! Southeast Asia is also one of the best places to visit on a shoestring budget, with hostels charging as little as $6 a night, often including breakfast and a free beer or two.

When visiting Bangkok, seeing the Buddhist temples at Wat Arun and the grand palace are a must! They are absolutely majestic and intricately decorated with precious stones, gold paint, porcelain, and colored mirrors.​

Also, be sure to ride in one of the colorful, long-tail boats through the canals of the old city. Little wooden huts and lush greenery line the waterways, giving you a glimpse of what Bangkok looked like just 30 years before.

To experience the more modern side of Bangkok, head to Siam Paragon to stroll down second story sidewalks and admire the brightly-colored and creative statues that line the pathways. There is also a shopping center with a large variety of nice restaurants with delicious offerings. For cheap eats, be sure to wander the main street of Chinatown in the evenings to sample a huge variety of traditional street food. It can get pretty crowded, but that’s part of the fun!

Ann Monk is a sophomore from Seattle, WA, studying International Relations, Global Islamic Studies, and Arabic at Connecticut College. She hopes to eventually work on education policy for refugees who have been resettled in Europe, but in the mean time, she is busy playing soccer, traveling, eating Indian food, and of course, writing for Her!
Her Campus Conn Coll