Don’t Let Irene Rain on Your Parade

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

With Connecticut College deciding to delay its opening by several days due to the hurricane, some may agree that the school year began with a bit of bumpy, or should I say gusty, start. The beginning of fall semester can already be a little stressful with starting new classes, meeting deadlines, and writing papers. “How do you write a thesis, again?” Adding to that, the stress of scrambling to change travel and move-in plans, some students may feel that Irene is an omen for bad things to come. We have brainstormed some ways to ensure that your transition into the fall semester does not end up being a natural disaster. With these tips, the only hurricane you should bear witness to is the train wreck on last week’s episode of Jersey Shore.

1. Use Advisors and Faculty to Your Advantage.

We are not going to lie, starting new classes is stressful…meeting new professors, making deadlines, adding and dropping classes, all while trying to balance your social and academic life. With Conn being such a small campus environment, we recommend that you to get to know the faculty and staff. If you are worried about an upcoming exam, talk to your professor about it! They are happy to help students dedicated to producing quality results. Stressed about completing your major? Set up an appointment with your advisor. They will guide you in the right direction and give you plenty of options to choose from. Do you have a paper and can’t find the right resources? Talk to the librarians. They are truly the masters when it comes to encyclopedias, books, and sources. There are so many resources at Conn just for you… so before you lose it, USE it!

2. Get Involved.

Getting involved in extracurricular activities is a great way to spend time doing something you enjoy and meet a great group of people. With more than 80 clubs at Conn, there are plenty of options. If none spark your interest, start a club yourself! Being involved outside of your course work will not only look impressive on your resume, but will also be a way to make friends and relax!

3.  Go explore.

If you are feeling a little claustrophobic by Conn’s small campus, there are a lot of things to do outside of its gates. Boutique shop in Mystic. Catch the last rays of summer at Narragansett Beach. Take pictures of the changing foliage in the arboretum. Show your school spirit and cheer on the soccer teams at Harkness field. Come on vamonos, it’s time to make Dora the Explorer proud.

4.  Find a Study Buddy.

With so much going on around campus, studying for that upcoming exam is often the last thing on anyone’s agenda. Make the subject matter interesting by studying in groups. Is the library starting to look like an insane asylum? Change up the scenery and quiz each other in Coffee Grounds. Need an extra boost? Make sure to take plenty of study breaks and get a Café Misto at Starbucks! I’m sorry, did I just hear the words “Dean’s list?”

5. It’s Friday, Friday. Gotta get down on Friday.

Whatever you do, make sure you take time for yourself and enjoy the fall semester! Go out with your friends. Teach everyone how to dougie at a Saturday night Cro dance. Show everyone who runs the world when you belt Beyonce’s latest hit. Just watch out for noise complaints…

Photo Source: http://sixbluepetals.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/woman-dancing-in-the-rain.jpg?w=281&h=400

Elyse Lebel is a senior at Connecticut College majoring in Psychology and Sociology. Studying abroad her spring semester in Copenhagen, Denmark, she loves to travel and learn about different cultures. As co-founder of the Her Campus branch at her school, Elyse has a strong passion and interest in writing, communications, and fashion. This summer, Elyse interned at Teen Voices, a non-profit magazine based in Boston, and is excited to continue to gain experience in online publication with the HC team!