Montreal Winters 101: How to do more than just survive it

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

It finally happened; winter is officially here. The warm weather graced us with its presence for longer than expected, but we have to accept that it is now long gone. Montreal winters can be really tricky. For those of you who are perhaps going through your first one this semester or for those who have yet to master the cold months here, be wary. Montreal winters can be more severe than any wind chill. Due to the intensity of the cold, most of us fall into the same trap of simply trying to survive the winter. We lock ourselves away in our homes, cancelling plans, skipping lectures, counting down the days until it no longer hurts to breathe the icy air outside. Although common and understandable, this response to winter is the opposite of helpful.

You won’t notice it but sooner or later, you’ll start to lose motivation to get out of bed and you’ll also get SAD, which is not just the term for the emotion but the acronym for seasonal affective disorder- a type of depression that can kick in due to lack vitamin D (sunlight.) According to the Canadian Mental Health Association, symptoms can include weight gain, fatigue, avoidance of social situations, irritability, difficulty concentrating and more. The effects of this disorder coupled with lack of human interaction in attempts to stay warm can have serious implications on your life. Don’t be caught off guard. In order to combat the devastating side effects winter can bring out, here are some tips before entering the season. 

Vitamin D Supplements

First and foremost, stock up on vitamin D pills. If you aren’t a huge fan of vitamin supplements, try and eat more foods with a higher concentration of vitamin D like eggs or tuna. This is perhaps the most crucial tip to keep in mind as we usually get our recommended vitamin D from the rays of the sun. Of course, here in Montreal, it is common to not see the sun, let alone be able to bask in its rays, for months at a time. If you let your vitamin D levels get too low, you will begin to feel the depression that comes along with SAD. 

Full Spectrum Lights 

Another trick to combat SAD is purchasing specific lights that mimic the sunlight. These types of lights can be bought from Canadian Tire and are life changing. They are full spectrum lights, meaning they help to give you the rays you are missing from outside. There are lamps or just bulbs, making it easy for you to choose whichever product works best for you.  They are, of course, more expensive than regular bulbs or lamps, but they are definitely worth the investment because they do keep the winter blues at bay. 

Outdoor Activities

This tip requires an open mind. Instead of locking yourself away for the season, I recommend looking up the plethora of activities the city of Montreal puts together for just this occasion. You can always make more of an effort to see friends or take in a funny movie- anything to partake in social interaction. However, there are also many activities to do outside. Even though its cold, these will help keep your happiness levels up. Vitamin D is important but never underestimate the importance of simple human interaction. 

Skating:  For citizens of all ages, there are both indoor and outdoor skating rinks. The music and movement gets your endorphins flowing, which increases your happiness. Plus, there are student discounts at the rinks. Whether you are going on a date or just hanging out with your friends, skating is always a fun winter activity that is worth stepping outside for.

Montreal en Lumière– Montreal has been putting on an annual outdoor interactive light exhibition for around 15 years now. As amazing as that already is, what makes it more amazing is that the time span for which this exhibition takes place is throughout the winter. The exhibition is free to all but there are events and restaurants nearby that you can use for a price. Participating in community events like these, where you are collectively enjoying something larger than yourselves, is an awesome experience. Check out their website for more information on the free exhibition as well as all the other events, you will not be sorry. 

Igloofest– Igloofest is perhaps one of Montreal’s coolest and most interesting events. Instead of running from the cold, Igloofest goers embrace it and spend their nights at the outdoor rave, taking in the lineup that changes every year. According to the Igloofest website, “each winter, going on 11 years this winter, Igloofest brings together thousands of electronic music fans to dance under the stars at Montreal’s Old Port”. Furthermore, this year, due to Quebec’s upcoming 375th birthday, there will be two extra weeks to attend. Igloofest is a must try event for every new Montrealer. Gather some friends, dress warmly, and go dance the night away to the best and latest EDM in a large mosh pit. It is an experience like no other.  Check out their website for ticket prices, line up schedules, and further information. 

Winters here are no joke. Staying in every now and again is completely fine, but be cautious of how you let the winter affect you. SAD is very much a real disorder and it happens insidiously as you don’t notice it until it’s been several weeks where you have had no motivation, seen little to none of your friends, and are just plain somber. As always with living on your own, make sure you are making time for yourself and for your mental and physical health. Here in Montreal, winter does not span the typical few months, rather it seems to last half the year. You deserve more than just trying to survive it- you deserve to thrive. Try to go out and do something fun. Don’t let the cold weather keep you from living your life.

Jenny Mourad

Concordia CA

Jenny is a Communication and Cultural Studies student with a minor in Psychology. She is your average multicultural, book reading, Netflix watching, wine loving girl. She is passionate about all sorts of topics but has a special place in her heart for representation in the media. She doesn't know what the future holds for her but she is excited to find out.
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.