March Madness: Things to Look Out For This Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

We’ve been counting down to March since we got back on campus this semester, and now, finally, it’s here. After half a semester of late-night study sessions in Butler Library and struggling to find somewhere to eat in the John Jay dining hall, we’re all ready for a well-deserved week long period of relaxation. 

Whether you’ve decided to travel to some exotic and tropical destination or just go home and lounge around, we hope you’re enjoying spring break 2013! But there are some other jump-out-of-your-seat-worthy things that are happening in March, and here at HC Columbia, we’ve come up with a list of the best shows, music, 
 and movies of everything you should be keeping an eye out for in this wonderful month that is March.

Television Show: Game of Thrones

Game of Thrones is back for its third season. Those yearlong breaks between seasons may be a pain for fans, but the wait is almost over! This television show lives up to all the brilliance of the book that it’s based off. It’s not hard to find a fellow Game of Thrones fan in the Columbia community. With its intricate story lines and thought-provoking, emotionally-charged scenes, it’s the perfect show for people that like to think critically about what they are watching. Season 3 of Game of Thrones premieres March 31st.  If you don’t have your own television, make sure you’ve got your lounge reserved because this something that you won’t want to miss!

Album: The 20/20 Experience

He made us cry him a river, rocked our bodies and succeeded in bringing sexy back, and now Justin Timberlake’s at it again with his new album The 20/20 Experience. If you loved the smooth and sensual vocals that Justin’s known for, The 20/20 Experience will not disappoint. Where else can you find JT and Jay-Z collaborating in a three-minute blast of musical genius? Justin classes it up in his suit and tie (which also happens to be the title of the album’s first single) while his charm and sophistication are impossible to deny. The 20/20 Experience is set for release on March 15 and will be perfect for jamming to during spring break.

Video Game: The Sims 3 University Life

Let’s face it; college is nothing like the way we all intended it to be. So why not be able to control every aspect of it in EA’s newest Sims 3 expansion pack? If you’re a die-hard Sims fan (especially if you yourself happen to be in university), you’re going to love the college aspect of the game. The Sims 3 University Life’s release date is March 5th and if you find that you’re just missing college too much during spring break this game will definitely satisfy that void!

Movie: Oz the Great and Powerful & The Host

It’s a tie! We couldn’t decide on just one.

If you’ve seen Wicked on Broadway, you’re probably dying to get your Emerald City fix. Oz the Great and Powerful is perfect for those who are just can’t get enough of that lovely yellow brick road. This is a film that’s bound to be filled with enough fantasy to make you forget about schoolwork. And seeing James Franco on the big screen doesn’t hurt either! Oz the Great and Powerful premieres March 8th, and makes for a perfect family excursion during spring break. Everyone loves a book that gets turned into a movie; and if you’re sad to see the end of the Twilight Saga, have no fear. Another Stephanie Meyers novel has made its way to theaters. The Host will definitely give you the love story that Meyers is so popular for, along with some action scenes that will satisfy the adrenaline junkies. The Host will be released in theaters on March 29th.

As you endlessly study for midterms, remember that March’s releases will be there to provide entertainment after this period of stress. So mark your calendars because we guaranteed there won’t be a shortage of fun this month!