Columbia Top Fives: Must Haves for Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Yeah, you’re right: the twinkling Christmas lights on College Walk do add a certain romance to these bleak winter nights. But it’s a new semester, a new year—here at HC Columbia, we’re all about looking to the future, and that means springtime. We’re over peppermint mochas, knee-high riding boots, and chunky knits to protect us from the biting cold. It’s time to say helloooo to spring break and fro-yo in Riverside Park, as far as we’re concerned. Still, we’re taking winter into account in this first edition of HC Columbia’s Fab Fives. Here they are: HC Columbia’s top five must-haves for the spring semester.

1.  Versatile maxi-dress

They’ve been back in style for a while now, and for good reason: maxi dresses are the absolute easiest way to put in as little effort as possible and still look completely put together. They’re comfy, flattering for pretty much every figure—yes, even for the vertically-challenged among us—and can easily be taken from class to a party on frat row (although, we’re not necessarily recommending that: a maxi dress=more fabric=more space for Jungle Juice stains). The trick for converting your maxi from day to night? During the day, wear it with a cute denim jacket and some cowboy-inspired booties to take the edge off; at night, ditch the boots and swap for pretty heels and some jewelry. Dangling earrings will elongate the neck, working with already sleek silhouette created by the length of the dress and take the look from class to club.

2. Go-anywhere boots

Having a pair of chic, comfy, and versatile boots in NYC is key. The right boots can compliment a huge array of outfits and spare you the trouble of getting a new shoe for each look. Brown leather boots that hit at the mid-calf work with just about everything – work them with white jeans and a denim top for a western feel or wear them with a flowy hi-low dress for an edgy twist on the girly look. We also love black combat or motorcycle boots, especially with grungy-rocker accents like distressed lacing, extra zippers, or industrial studs, which can be worn over black leggings for a tougher look or with a bright mini-skirt for a night on the town. That hipster thing that’s oh-so-cool is all about mixing the traditionally feminine with the dark and urban, contrasting textures, and exuding a cool, collegiette confidence—no wonder boots are a staple for the look.

3. Something colbalt 

One of our favorite colors of 2013, cobalt blue is a bright, notice-me color that makes you stand out without 1., giving anyone who looks at you glaucoma and 2., making you look you got lost on your way to a rave downtown, like often happens with neon pinks and oranges. Cobalt pairs wonderfully with black, cream, gray, and gold—just take a look at how awesome Eva Mendes’ chunky knitted cap and camel coat look together (also, for your viewing pleasure, have some gratuitous Ryan Gosling). For day, colbalt skinnies pair nicely with a slouchy gray sweater, or you could try a silky cobalt blouse over white jeans as we move toward warmer days. At night, spice things up by swapping your tried-and-true black bodycon mini for one in this punchy, electric shade of blue or rock a cobalt dress with gold-accented black booties. This blue also works great in smaller doses – amp up a black and white ensemble with cobalt shoes or jewelry.

4.  Studs & spikes

We’re not talking about that cute guy in your lecture hall, although some man candy is always a welcome accessory! (Totally cheesy? Yes. Awesome? Also, yes).  We’re talking about metal stud detailing, which is a surefire way to add a  badaass edge to any look. If you want to go all out with the rocker look throw on a black leather (or faux-leather; save the cows!) jacket with studs on the lapels or cuffs to be sure to get the attention of everyone at 1020. If you’re into playing with stereotypes, toss some silk, lace, and florals into your outfit for an interesting counterpoint to the moto-rocker effect of the studs. Go for a silky blouse with stud detailing on the collar or a sweater with spiked shoulders (just make sure the spikes are rounded down!) Or you can have the accessories do the talking – throw on some studded biker boots or a spiked cuff bracelet to make sure everyone knows you mean business.

5. Scarves

Few things are as necessary for the grossness that is New York City from January to March as a good scarf. Crochet, chiffon, wool—we’re all about the about the fashion and function of scarves as we move from winter to spring (soon…!). Using as scarf as a pop of color is all well and good, but if you get one in a versatile shade (think neutrals—creams, white, or black) and experiment with different styles of wrapping, you have an accessory that works with every outfit. There are tons of sites offering different styles of wrapping, but our favorites can be found here

Want to hear about more of HC Columbia’s top fives? Like us on facebook and follow us on twitter!

Isabel is a film studies/pre-med student at Columbia University. Her interests include Boston sports, pizza and looking up pictures of munchkin kittens. If you have never seen a munchkin kitten GO LOOK THEM UP NOW.