Cheers to All the Single Ladies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Here’s a shout out to all my single ladies at Columbia. You already know you’re beautiful, independent, and intelligent, so there’s really no need to remind you of how attractive you all are.  We all know what the problem is—the guys just can’t handle your personality, are too shy to step up to the challenge, or maybe, they’re just not ready for this jelly.  Usually, we can handle all this, but this is kind of a downer when the big V-Day is rushing around the corner. You know how Valentine’s Day goes. It’s that day where we get pissed at all the lovebirds, happily skipping in paradise and locking lips for twenty minutes in the doorway of your Stats class—no offense to all of you girls with your Chace Crawford boyfriends. Much love to all our girls in love, but, honestly, Valentine’s Day makes even the cutest couples just a teensy bit annoying.

You might think you can’t celebrate Single Awareness Day  Valentine’s Day because you’re living that #singlegirlstruggle life, but HC Columbia’s got all the answers. Here’s the motto for tonight, girls: No boys; no problems. Chant it with me. “No boys; no problem. No boys; no problem. No boys; no problem.” Okay, so do you believe it now?  If not, try actually yelling out loud, primal scream-style.

The Night…

1. Get off campus        

Well, here’s a suggestion for the big night. Have a Girl’s Night Out. Grab all of your single friends and hit up one of those trendy restaurants downtown. (At HC Columbia, we’re in loovvveee with Abe & Arthur’s in the Meatpacking District.) Try something you wouldn’t typically order. Indulge yourself in dessert. Order that triple-fudge brownie topped with vanilla ice cream. Don’t worry about the calories. You can burn it off dancing. If eating out isn’t your thing or you want to venture out after your meal, go to a club and dance your butt off. Take advantage of NYC (and the 24-hour subway system, hello) and head to the Knitting Factory in Williamsburg–indulge your inner hipster and rock out to hip-hop, indie, and techno DJs as well as up-and-coming urban performers. If you play your cards right, maybe you’ll bump into your future valentine on the dance floor. Don’t be shy. Dance like there’s no tomorrow. Flaunt your stuff, chica.

Got a sweet tooth? The 21st Annual Hot Chocolate Festival is taking place at City Bakery at 5th Avenue and 18th Street until February 28. Give your taste buds a treat and introduce them to new savory flavors of hot chocolate, like Espresso and Chili Pepper. Similarly, Clinton Street Baking Co. & Restaurant is serving different varieties of pancakes each day of February. Seriously: a pancake palooza is never something to be overlooked.

2.  Or not. 

If you don’t want to leave campus on a Thursday night, there are still tons of other things to do. Here’s an easy one—have a dance party in your room. Just grab your roommate’s speakers and blast one of your favorite songs. Before you know it you’ll have half of your dorm jammed in your room. It’s a good way to get to know more people. Want to an even more low-key type night (that doesn’t involve a library)? Have a chick flick movie night. The Notebook might be calling your name. To prepare for your movie night, make brownies with your friends, drink mugs upon mugs of hot cocoa, and most importantly eat store-bought chocolate.  Oh, and don’t be afraid to shed some tears while watching your chosen romantic tragedy or laugh obnoxiously loud at your fave Rom-Com. (If you’re looking for movies to watch, might I point you in the direction of Her Campus’s top 30 chick flicks? Between Crazy Stupid Love, 27 Dresses, and the eternally quotable Mean Girls, you honestly cannot go wrong.) If you want to stay on campus but aren’t feeling a Titanic-inspired cryfest, go to Glass House Rocks: Space Jam in Lerner. You’ll have fun pretending to be a little kid, jumping in the bouncy castle (Who are we kidding? Moon bounces are awesome at every age) and gladiator jousting with your friends. There will be (free!) food and music and fun. Sounds like a great way to spend the big V-day.

&…Day

Now that you’ve got the more difficult Valentine’s Day-night plans settled, it’s time to think about what you’re going to do before the sun goes down. 

1. Spread the love

Has someone ever made your day by giving you a compliment on your new shoes? When you compliment someone else it will probably put a smile on his or her face and yours. Give it a try! Also, homeless shelters and soup kitchens are in need of volunteers year round. If community service intrigues you, visit  Food Bank for New York City to find out about volunteering opportunities. If you’re feeling shy or you’re crunched for time, you can donate old clothes, linens, accessories, etc. to the Riverside Church on Claremont Ave and 121st street, which is only a few blocks off campus. They accept donations all days of the week and their hours of operation are 7am-10pm. Donating your old clothing benefits the less fortunate and makes you feel good too. 

2.  Treat Yourself 

If you’re a girl who needs a reason to splurge then let this be one! Suzy’s Nail Salon, between 83rd and 84th streets on Amsterdam, offers $9.00 manicures as well as a range of other services such as pedicures, eyebrow threading, and massages daily. If you have a sweet tooth, pick up a cup of Pinkberry frozen yogurt across Broadway or a cupcake from Crumbs Bakery at 109th and Broadway. (Don’t worry, you can still have that brownie at dinner.)

3. Get in touch with loved ones

Let’s be honest, with classes going into full swing, it has probably been a while since you picked up your phone and had a true conversation with your parents. Plan to set aside half-an-hour and stop doing your work at some time during the day so that you can have an uninterrupted phone call with your parents. We’re sure they would appreciate to hear your voice every once in a while and a simple “I love you.” If you have other relatives in New York, hop on the subway and spend some time with them. Your loved ones include your friends as well, so don’t be afraid to show some love to them. Carman and John Jay Residence Hall Leadership Organizations (RHLO) are holding Candy gram-making events from Saturday to Tuesday in front of the John Jay Lounge and from 5-7 p.m. on Valentine’s Day in the Carman Lounge. The candy grams will be delivered later that night.

4. Give yourself a break

If you can’t afford to treat yourself, at the very least, give yourself the gift of time to just relax and recooperate. Columbia’s a stressful place in a stressful city, and despite what we might tell our parents, we’re probably not getting enough sleep. Take a nap. Watch your favorite show on Netflix. Read a book for pleasure. Bake some cookies in your residence hall’s kitchen and share them with your friends (Or not. They can bake their own cookies).  Stop whining about how “Columbia-far” Dodge is and workout. Draw. Write. Play your instrument. For the love of God, stay out of Butler. 

Don’t wallow in your singleness on the 14th; go out and make your own fun. Even Beyonce knows the value of spending some quality time with me, myself, and I

Leslie is a currently a freshman at Columbia University's Engineering School. She became interested in fashion and beauty after watching some YouTube videos on these subjects. Now interning at an amazingly fantastic mobile fashion app company in NYC, Leslie is trying to find what aspect of the industry she enjoys most.