8 Electronic Tracks to Add to Your Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

I dedicate this article to my mom who refers to electronic music as “broken robot music”. Disclaimer: this playlist is in no way representative of the “main genres” of electronic music, these are just some of my favs which happen to fall under the umbrella term. Anyways… I hope you enjoy!

Obscure: “Streamers” by Wave Racer

Gotta give credit to my high school biffle Katie for sending me a link to this. It’s songs like this that make me so amazed by the magic of music. Though, this song has no words the synthesized effects and melodic composition gives this song a sense of happiness and a vibe that’s undoubtedly sunny and bubbly. Wave Racer is Sydney-based and is currently touring with Disclosure in the Australian-leg of their tour.

Surprising Collab: “So Insane” by Discovery

Discovery is the musical project of Rostam Batmanglij (Vampire Weekend) and Wesley Miles  (Ra Ra Riot). “So Insane” is from their only released album LP. Discovery tracks are heavy on electronics and often utilized altered vocals, sampling, synthesizers and drum machines. The project is unique because you can hear some elements unique to Vampire Weekend and Ra Ra Riot synthesized into something novel, wonderful and unexpected. Not much information is known about Discovery, most of the information I know about them is through Wikipedia… their website is very sparse and they don’t have a Facebook page. I guess my best bet is just to keep my fingers crossed and hope that they drop some new music in the near future.

Indie Mashup: “Sleepykids” by Wizard Murph

This was another find through my friends. I love Passion Pit, I love MGMT and I love this mashup. To make this mashup successful, the key and tempo were clearly changed but both pieces still maintained their original essence. The interlude, composed of the recognizable accompaniments from both pieces, was mixed meticulously to create an upbeat and fun track.

Musical Prodigy: “Technicolor” by Madeon

There’s no denying that Madeon, Hugo Leclerq, has talent. As an acclaimed songwriter, producer, and mix-master, Leclercq rose to fame with his viral YouTube video “Pop Culture” in which he synthesized pop tunes to create a brilliant masterpiece. While he is known for flawless sets which combine the works of many artists both big and obscure, he is also known for beautifully composed original works such as Technicolor. After you check out his latest original be sure to hit up Soundcloud to check out his remixes and his full sets from music festivals.

Nu-Disco: “Baby I’m Yours” by Breakbot

It’s true that once you go disco you never go back. This song is groovy and the video is even  groovier. A collaborative effort between singer, Irfane, and French Producer/DJ, Breakbot,  this song is reminiscent of a time filled with Farrah Fawcett hair, platform shoes, and disco  balls. This song will sure to make you dig out your old bell bottoms and bust out your best  “Saturday Night Fever” moves.

Remix Win: “Sweet Disposition” by Temper Trap remixed by Axwell

I’m notorious crier at concerts… it’s no surprise that when I heard this live at the Swedish House Mafia concert last year I was pretty much just a little glob of emotions, sweat and glitter. The track is originally the work of Axwell (1/3 of SHM) who transforms the emotive indie-rock original into an upbeat dance track while still maintaining its original emotional build.

Soundcloud Gem: “Let’s Go Home” by Carousel remixed by Sound Remedy

When I first heard Sound Remedy’s work on Soundcloud I felt like my mind had been blown. The production quality was absolutely stellar and every song had its own unique flavor which made the original even better. Unfortunately the one live Sound Remedy performance did not have the same creative and complexity as the pre-made versions. But on the plus side, his Soundcloud has free downloads! “Let’s Go Home” is definitely my favorite; while I liked the original, the Sound Remedy remix gave the whole song new melodic contours which amplified the emotional listening experience.

Powerhouse Collab: “Promises” by Nero remixed by Skrillex

You can’t talk about electronic music without Skrillex. Whether you like his work or not,  Skrillex has talent and charisma that is absolutely undeniable. Nero is a electronic duo from  Britain and released Promises first in 2011. While the original is a work of art, Skrillex’s  remix elevates the song to a whole new level. The song begins with dreamy isolated vocals  and builds both musically and emotionally. This piece takes over your body and you’ll be  headbanging in no time; it’s no wonder this song won a Grammy for best Non-Classical  Remixed Recording.

Lana is a sophomore in SEAS pursuing a major in Applied Mathematics and a minor in Music. She likes cats, chocolate, cellos, calculus, concerts, and corn dogs. 
Elena is a sophomore at Columbia University majoring in English. In her free time, she writes for Her Campus and news for Spectator. She loves New York and her friends.