This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Dreaming: Smallpools

A newcomer to the music world, Smallpools has already become extremely successful because of their upbeat and catchy songs. “Dreaming” comes from their 2013 EP “Have a Great Summer” and is a song that will sure to get you on your feet, singing and dancing along.  The group is currently on tour, you can catch them at Terminal 5 with Grouplove and MS MR in March.

Nova Scotia: Magic Man

When I go see shows, I mostly only tolerate the openers. But Magic Man completely blew me away. The group radiated fun and positive energy and kept the audience dancing even though a lot of the crowd weren’t familiar with the songs. The band has gotten big since touring with Walk the Moon and  will headline their first show in NYC at the Mercury Lounge in March.

All the People: Panama Wedding

Panama Wedding was also a band that opened at a show I went to; I had never heard of them but during the entire set my friends and I were dancing and freaking out about how amazing this band was. “All the People” is infectious, combining a memorable melody with a lively synth backing. This band knows how to have a good time and capture their audience with their music and energy. They also replied to two of my tweets (cue the fangirling) so that’s pretty cool. Panama Wedding is New York based and will be doing a show with RAC and Prides at Webster Hall in March.

Heart Beats: Hey Marseilles

Originally, I went to see Hey Marseilles in Williamsburg because I wanted a cheap show to take my friend when she visited me. We had no idea that we would be completely blown away and fall in love with their music. “Heart Beats” is beautifully written and the use of viola and cello to intensify the emotions of the song is absolutely on point. Hey Marseilles is currently doing a west coast tour but as soon as they return to the Big Apple, I will be first in line to buy tickets.

Going Back to New York: Party Supplies

Here’s yet another band that was an opener that has really grown on me. The Williamsburg duo have strong backgrounds in both producing and instrumentation and combine elements from funk, rock, pop, etc. to create chill and eclectic dance tunes. Party Supplies just went on tour with Action Bronson and will hopefully be playing some NYC shows in the near future.

The Girl: City and Colour

City and Colour is the acoustic project of Dallas Green from the “post-hardcore” group, Alexisonfire. “The Girl” is charming and sweet; the combination of Green’s mellow voice and clean acoustic guitar accompaniment creates a beautifully simple track.  City and Colour is currently touring in Europe but will hopefully play in New York next year (fingers crossed!)

Lana is a sophomore in SEAS pursuing a major in Applied Mathematics and a minor in Music. She likes cats, chocolate, cellos, calculus, concerts, and corn dogs. 
Elena is a sophomore at Columbia University majoring in English. In her free time, she writes for Her Campus and news for Spectator. She loves New York and her friends.