12 Awesome Books by Women Writers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

I recently compiled a list of books to read over spring break. As I was writing, I realized how few women writers on the list. So, I decided to retrace my steps and give my lovely collegiettes a list of my favorite books by women. Of course female writers are just as good as male writers, but it’s a fact that most of the literary canon is made up of men. Go Virginia Woolf and Jane Austen, am I right?  We can combat this by not only reading women, but by writing ourselves, too! 

If you ask me, it’s a problem that J.K. Rowling, perhaps the most famous author EVER, went by the name “J.K” because she was told a female author would never sell books. And then, when she went to publish her mystery novel, that too was under a male pseudonym. Women, including J.K. Rowling, are responsible for some of the most beautiful and ground-breaking works of literature. It’s time society starts collectively acknowledging that women should be just as respected in the world of literature as men are. Here are a few of my favorite books by women. The books are organized in no particular order. Enjoy!

1) A Visit From the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan (2010)I picked up this book two summers ago, looking for a good read. My mom told me to take a look at it. I should listen to her more often, because it was PHENOMENAL. Wow, wow. Goon Squad refers to the name of a fictional rock band. Much of the story revolves around this band, but each chapter is narrated by a different character at a different point in their lives. The book jumps through time and space. You’ll see how characters are intertwined and how one action has reverberations throughout history, but in the life of a friend. It’s an utter joy.

2) The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood

Sometimes, I reread a sentence by Margaret Atwood five times before I can move on to the next one. She has a way of writing that makes each line of prose seem like poetry. Her imaginative plots combined with an absolutely stunning writing style lead to what’s always a pleasurable reading experience. I also love her famous novel The Handmaid’s Tale, but The Blind Assassin is my favorite. It’s a beautifully-written book about two sisters, and has two alternating plots going on at once. The stories twist, turn, and combine in terrifically complicated ways. I don’t want to give anything away, so just read it. Trust me.

3) Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Alright, this is single handedly one of the most chilling books I’ve ever read. Chilling as in–don’t read this home alone or in the dark. Du Maurier creates a beautifully-written novel that is soaked with eeriness and the feeling that something isn’t quite right. The reader experiences this twisted world full of mysteries and ghost-like memories along with the unnamed narrator, a young bridge just wed to a sophisticated older man, Maximilian. I read this years ago but I still remember the wonderful atmosphere du Maurier weaves in this classic. It’s a classic for a reason–it’s AWESOME. And it moves very quickly. If you’re ever craving a delicious mystery about love, past wives named Rebecca, and houses called Manderly haunted by the past, I can’t recommend this book more. “Last night I dreamed I went to Manderly again…” what an opening line.

4) Bossypants by Tina Fey

I aspire to be Tina Fey. She’s the ultimate role model and her hilarious memoir deserves a place on this list. You’ll get insight into the mind of one of our time’s greatest thinkers and most kick-ass women. I especially love her letter to her daughter. Very funny and touching all at once.

5) Possession by A.S. Byatt

A.S. Byatt is a scary good writer. This book is steeped in academia–but a far more fun and interesting academia than we’re acquainted with. Byatt’s English professors stumble upon letters between two of history’s most famous writers. Slowly, the two uncover more and more about these two writers’ lives. However, they’ll never know as much as we, the reader, will, because along with the two professors, we also see the two writers’ affair unfold. Lucky us!

6) The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende

This is a downright magical book. It’s almost a female equivalent of another favorite of mine, One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. By that, I mean that the main characters in Allende’s magic-realism books are matriarchs. The wonderful women in this family take center stage. Allende’s imagination is astounding, and as you travel down the family tree, you will be swept away in fantastical stories and all-too-real histories of South America. The four generations of the Trueba family will become your own family by the end of the book. You’ll be sad to see them go. I know I was.

7) I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith

J.K Rowling once gave an interview and was asked what her favorite book was. She replied with I Capture the Castle, a long out of print novel. Well, of course, immediately after the interivew, printing on the book resumed. Everyone wanted to read J.K’s favorite novel, and after reading it myself, I know why. It’s one of my favorite books of all time, too. It’s about Cassandra, a teenager living in an old,dank castle in England with her beautiful older sister and their younger brother and father. Two Americans come into town and turn everything topsy turvy. In the end, it’s a delightful book about growing up (in a castle) and

8) The Liars’ Club by Mary Karr

Mary Karr is one of today’s best memoirists. In this book, she delves into her troubled childhood in 1960s Texas. She continues to narrate her life beautifully in other books, but this is my favorite of hers.

9) Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.

Well OF COURSE Jane Austen is on the list. She created the modern novel. We have to thank her for every other book on our book shelves, let alone this list. She’s written many wonderful books, but with Elizabeth Bennet, Austen created one of literature’s most beloved characters. So many women relate to her and see themselves in her boldness and, yes, pride. Also, has there ever been a literary character as hunky as Mr. Darcy? I think not.

10) Beloved by Toni Morrison.

This one is almost too obvious to put on the list. If you haven’t read it yet I don’t know what high school you went to. Just go read it now as homework from Elena, and probably have a chocolate bar ready. It can get a bit stressful, but it’s always genius.

11) White Teeth by Zadie Smith.

Wrote about this in my last list. Read it! It’s SUPERB!

12) Ursula K. Le Guin

She’s the queen of fantasy. There are too many books to choose from, but know that Ursula K. Le Guin is an empress and you should read her books if you want to dive into a whole new world.

Have any recommendations of your own favorite books by women? Email elenanicolaou@hercampus.com and say a little bit about your favorite book.

Elena is a sophomore at Columbia University majoring in English. In her free time, she writes for Her Campus and news for Spectator. She loves New York and her friends.