World AIDS Day in Chicago

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

Today marks the first of December and the 23rd anniversary of World AIDS Day, a day of education and commemoration of those who have died thus far from the disease.

Currently, more than 1.2 million people in the United States are infected and living with HIV, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control. At least one in five of those people are unaware that they are even infected.

Though there have been many advances in the treatment of AIDS since the first report in 1981, more than 16,000 people die from it every year. Getting tested regularly if you are sexually active is critical in determining if you have been infected. If caught early, there are more chances to treat the disease and stay healthy longer. 

Hearing all of the statistics about AIDS and HIV can admittedly be a bit frightening, so we won’t do that here. But we will encourage you to go get tested if you have not been already.

TPAN on North Broadway will be providing free HIV testing and counseling from 10am-8pm and the Howard Brown Health Center on North Clark will also be providing free testing from 2pm-5pm. 

And condoms will be EVERYWHERE! Literally! The Chicago Department of Public Health will be distributing condoms city-wide at designated CTA stops. 

Remember: safe sex is the best sex! Always wrap it up!

Mariah Craddick hails from the city of Atlanta and is currently a magazine journalism major at Columbia College of Chicago. Though she has a wide range of interests, her concentration and focus lies in fashion, art and entertainment. In addition to writing for HC, Mariah is also a contributing writer for the online lifestyle magazine GlossMagazineOnline. Upon graduation in 2013, Mariah hopes to pursue a career in magazine journalism and maybe even law school.