Preparing Yourself for Chicago’s Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

So, it’s inevitable, winter is quickly approaching. I’ve been trying to prepare myself for weeks now as the temperatures continue to drop, but there’s just no escaping it. It’s about to get really cold in the “Windy City” and I don’t think any of us are ready for it.

Since I am from the South myself, I find it especially hard to deal with the harsh wind on top of the ridiculous amounts of snow plus days of no sunlight (I’m not exaggerating–really!). But even people born and raised here still find it impossible to ever get used to arguably the worst winters ever.

Well, before you start weeping uncontrollably or packing for Florida, let’s go over some things you can do to better prepare yourself for the cold.

1.) Buy a winter coat!! : And not one of those cute-but-not-so-warm ones either. You need a serious, wool, fur or down coat that will block those unexpected gusts of icy wind. Sounds like the most obvious thing to do, but trust me–I’ve tried to go the “cute” route before and I have the ice burns to prove it. 

2.) Know your bus/train schedule: The last thing you want to do when it’s 20 degrees below and snowing is stand outside waiting for your train or bus to come. Alleviate that situation by looking up the schedules ahead of time–while still in the warmth of your own home–and then you’ll know when to make a run for it.

3.) LAYER UP!: There’s actually an entire art to layering of which I was unaware. If done correctly, you can walk down the streets of Chicago with no issue in a blizzard. Proper layering will help insulate your body heat without overheating. Buying a pair of long, thermal underwear will prove very helpful down the road.  

4.) Find things to do INDOORS: Don’t go outside!! Sure, fresh air is nice and all but you can wait until spring! Okay, maybe it’s not that bad, but finding options that don’t require having to endure the freezing temperatures will only benefit you. But don’t use that as an excuse to not go to class!!

5.) Think positive: I’m not sure how much this last tip works, but it’s worth a shot. Picture yourself on the beaches of some far away island while you’re withstanding the cold…and try not to cry too hard. 

Mariah Craddick hails from the city of Atlanta and is currently a magazine journalism major at Columbia College of Chicago. Though she has a wide range of interests, her concentration and focus lies in fashion, art and entertainment. In addition to writing for HC, Mariah is also a contributing writer for the online lifestyle magazine GlossMagazineOnline. Upon graduation in 2013, Mariah hopes to pursue a career in magazine journalism and maybe even law school.