Birth Control…for Men?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

Yes. You read that correctly.

The Center for Research in Reproduction and Contraception is apparently in development of an oral contraceptive for men. Right now, the only other options men have are condoms–which are not always 100% safe–and a vasectomy–which is permanent.

So maybe it’s about time that men had another option. After all, women have condoms and pills and patches and rings, oh my! 

If this oral contraceptive does hit the market, I can’t help but wonder whether men will start to behave differently–now having more responsibility for the consequences of their actions. Or will it always be the woman’s responsibility to take the birth control?

What do you think? Do you think men will begin to take birth control if given the option? 

Leave a comment below and let us know what you think!

Mariah Craddick hails from the city of Atlanta and is currently a magazine journalism major at Columbia College of Chicago. Though she has a wide range of interests, her concentration and focus lies in fashion, art and entertainment. In addition to writing for HC, Mariah is also a contributing writer for the online lifestyle magazine GlossMagazineOnline. Upon graduation in 2013, Mariah hopes to pursue a career in magazine journalism and maybe even law school.