A Smart Girl’s Guide to Going Away for the Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

Though we all love Hamilton, NY and all it has to offer, sometimes we need a break for a few days; we need a change in scenery to regenerate and take a breather from the chaos that is Colgate. I have found many students have a fear of missing out (FOMO as my roommate calls it), but sometimes the cure for our anxieties and stresses is to get away and miss out (or opt out). I personally think that going away for a weekend only makes me love returning to Colgate activities and people more. So, with that in mind, here are some tips for taking a weekend away!

1.     Choose your destination. Surprisingly enough, we have access to most major cities in the Northeast from Hamilton. Though we are in the middle of nowhere, we do have feasible options for traveling to places such as Manhattan, Boston, and Montreal in about 5 hours or under. If you don’t want to travel as far, look into a closer ‘home away from home’. If you’re outdoorsy, or want to be, check out local camping areas or bed and breakfasts for a relaxing escape from Hamilton.
2.     Determine your transportation. I suggest stopping by the Coop travel agency before your trip to ask about transportation available to your destination. For instance, there is a direct bus service from the HOP to Manhattan offered by Coachline USA. Many other transportation options depart from Utica or Syracuse, so look into those as well. If a train or bus doesn’t fit the bill, remember we have Zipcars on campus! Though the fees for Zipcar can be pricy for the weekend, try to get a group of friends with whom you can split the cost. On the plus-side, gas is paid for by Zipcar, so you don’t have to worry about that! Or, if you have your own car, you’re all set!
3.     Figure out lodging. Hotels in most major cities can be pretty pricy, so I advise either looking for hotel deals or finding alternate arrangements. For hotel deals, I recommend http://www.hotwire.com/us/index.jsp. They generally offer great deals on hotels in superb locations. If you want a different option, look into a bed and breakfast or a hostel as they are generally less expensive. Or for you outdoorsy folk, look into local campgrounds! Alternatively, maybe you can stay with a friend at their house if they live near your destination!
4.     Look into local attractions and restaurants. I recommend using Trip Advisor to research things to do and see. The website offers tourist reviews and summaries of each attraction. I also find looking on the city or town’s website can be helpful to find events calendars and restaurant deals. For example, boston.com has a calendar for all events throughout the city and a restaurant recommendation and deals section.
5.     Budget time for work. There is rarely, if ever, a weekend at Colgate when we students don’t have work. I suggest trying to get some work done before leaving and then setting aside time to do some homework. Find a local coffee shop and take an hour or so to relax and do homework!
Whatever you end up doing, I hope that you can find a way to get away and relax so you can return to Colgate rejuvenated and ready for all that Colgate University and Hamilton have to offer! So pack up your weekend duffel and get to it!

For student discounts on transportation, lodging and activities, check out http://www.studentuniverse.com/!

Emily Bliss is a sophomore at Colgate University, where her academic interests include Political Science, Economics, and Chinese. She hopes to attend business school upon her graduation. In addition to being a tour guide and admissions office volunteer, she competes with the Alpine Ski Racing Team and the Rugby Club. Emily calls Cambridge, Massachusetts home, as it is where she was born and raised, though she loves living in Hamilton, New York when school is in session. Her favorite activities include spending time in and around Boston, watching Gossip Girl, traveling, and cooking!