Colgate Presents: The Vagina Monologues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, people everywhere are looking for ways to celebrate the special day with their loved ones. If you are searching for something a little less conventional than a generic box of chocolates, then you should check out the Vagina Monologues! This play was written by Eve Ensler in 1996 and has been performed internationally ever since. It consists of several different monologues read by several different women. These monologues express varying aspects of womanhood, such as love, sex, experiences with one’s body and more. The content of the play is based on anecdotes from real women on their personal experiences with these topics. Beyond just presenting these issues in the monologues, the play aims to raise awareness for, and put an end to, violence against women.

I spoke with Victoria Tarantino ‘16, who will be performing in the Vagina Monologues this weekend. Her interest in theater is what originally evoked Tarantino to take part in this play her freshman year. Tarantino also noted that this play was special, “because it provided me a community of women united for a common cause, and helped me feel comfortable on Colgate’s campus.” Colgate students have stayed true to Ensler’s cause of raising awareness for violence against women. All of the proceeds from Colgate’s Vagina Monologues go to Victims of Violence. This is a program that provides free services to women who have been affected by sexual and domestic violence right here in Madison County.

Colgate is just one of the many audiences that will be able to see the Vagina Monologues this weekend, as the play is intentionally performed around Valentine’s Day each year accross the country. Although it focuses on the female experience, it is a play everyone should see! So, stop by Brehmer Theater on February 12th, 13th, or 14th to see your very own Colgate peers performe in this amazing production. Not only are the Vagina Monologues entertaining and a great means of understanding the issues so many women deal with, they are also a great way to support an important cause and to have a unique Valentine’s Day activity!