This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

We are on the horizon!  We, who currently call the lovely suburb of Hamilton, New York our humble abode, are entering into a period of temperature limbo.  The bone chilling, subzero temperatures of a Colgate winter are warily rising to moderately balmy temperatures.  Yes, a whopping 34 degrees is a Colgate student’s indication of springtime.  While our relativity may be a tad skewed, I know all of you are rejoicing as you add a temperature snapchat to your story with perhaps a palm tree or sunshine emoji.  I know I am!  However, as we near the blazing forties and fifties on thermometer we reach a very awkward moment.  What. To. Wear.

Do you still reach for the parka and mittens? Sure, they may be practical for your 8:30am walk to Olin, but what happens when you reach your 11:20am class in Alumni where the heat is blasting and the sweat seems to be flowing from the toasty confines of the cashmere sweater you begged for over winter break.  So then, do you go for the rolled jeans, converse, and lighter jacket route? You may find yourself slipping all over the black ice you mistook for melted snow, not to mention still feel the chilled breeze you once found refreshing in your bundled Canada Goose.  So what on earth do you do?  Fear not.  I have some options for you!

Option #1: Layer up!  Instead of the wool sweater pullover you’ve been wearing to combat the frozen tundra, opt for the cardigan version!  Pair it with a short sleeve linen, or even a tank if you’re feeling adventurous.  Then, when faced with the seat closest to the radiator in class, you can be cool as a cucumber knowing you are one strip away from optimal temperature.    

Option #2: Adapt your spring style.  I know it can be oh so tempting to rock your knew t-shirt dress from Brandy…so do it!  But this time, wear some tights underneath with your fave pair of booties.  You will look trendy and still have some traction for those sneaky black ice spots!

Option #3: Do you!  One of the best parts of fashion is doing you and only YOU!  If you want to wear your wool socks and new Free City beanie, don’t let anyone stop you!  That sundress you got on sale over break is calling your name; so don’t let those side-glance looks on the walkway drown out her yells!  You. Do. You. However! No one really wants to be hot and bothered in class or shivering on the trek back to the tohos.  So I recommend investing in one of these babies…

The point is, don’t let these awkward temperatures get you down!  You have plenty of options that will still leave you looking prime for your anticipated 2:45 p.m. class with last week’s campus cutie!

Morgan is a junior at Colgate University where she majors in Creative Writing and minors in Film & Media Studies.  On campus, Morgan is a New Member Educator for greek life's Kappa Kappa Gamma.  When she's not under stacks of English literature in the library, you can find her watching old reruns of Laguna Beach with her co-correspondent leader, Caroline Parsons.  An avid listener of country music, interior design fanatic, and diehard Bachelor spectator.  Check out the blogs and articles produced by Morgan, Caroline, and their diverse (just as weird) team of writers!