This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Yana is an American Studies and Goverment major. As a junior she particpates in many different clubs on campus, yet still has time for herself.

How did you choose to be an American Studies and Government double major? 

Witnessing the 2008 election sparked my interest in government and public service. I have always been passionate about progressive causes, and the government seems to have the most appropriate resources and reach to enact the changes I’m most dedicated to. The American Studies and Government pairing is really special. The combination has taught me both what the current system is, and how to question it. I love how interdisciplinary the American Studies major is; I’ve taken classes in the English, History, WGSS, and Government departments that have all counted toward it.

What is your role in Goldfarb? What made you want to participate?

I am a member of the Student Advisory Board of the Goldfarb Center. I help to plan events and research potential speakers. This past semester, I brought Director Kirby Dick to campus to talk about his documentary, “The Invisible War,” following a screening of it. I was also on the Election 2012 committee, which organized much of the programming around this past election, such as the debate screenings and the November 6 watch party.

I wanted to participate in the Goldfarb center immediately after learning about its mission to engage Colby students in the local community and on the national stage. We are very lucky as students to have the opportunity to plan events we are interested in, and to share our passions with our fellow peers.

I know Goldfarb helped to sponsor the Outside Colby magazine and that it’s a fairly new magazine; what were the intentions behind it? 

Outside Colby was founded with the intention to spark political discourse on campus. As a bi-weekly non-partisan publication, it serves as a forum for students to voice their opinions on issues they are passionate about.

What do you hope to achieve with the magazine, and how has it been received so far on campus? 

Our goal is to make students recognize that their opinions matter, and that they deserve to have them heard. We’ve recently launched our own website, www.outsidecolby.com, where we’ve posted all of our past articles. The hope is to get people to submit online comments about articles they’ve read, so that they may articulate.

We have received a lot of positive feedback from students on campus. People always volunteer to write, or are willing to do so once they are reached out to. We hope that people enjoy reading the publication as much as we enjoy putting it together!

Can you tell our readers a little about Hardy Girls? How can we get involved?

Hardy Girls sends Colby students, or muses, as they like to call them, into local schools in Maine to lead girls’ groups of eight to 10 students. I lead a girls’ group of eighth graders at Skowhegan Middle. Once a week, my co-muse and I come to the school to talk to our girls about issues of girl culture, media literacy, stereotyping and the objectification of women, girl-fighting, etc. Our mission is to empower these girls to break out of any constrictions they may feel, and to be healthy women!

People can easily get involved by volunteering to lead girls’ groups. They can do so through the Colby Volunteer Center (CVC) once they go through training.

How about Campus Conversations on Race? What are the conversations like? When and where are they held?

Being a Campus Conversations on Race (CCOR) group facilitator is one of the most unique things I do on campus. For two hours once a week, my co and I lead discussions on issues of race such as institutionalized racism, white privilege, racial humor, racial tensions at Colby, etc. It’s an honest and safe space where Colby students are supposed to feel that they can share their innermost opinions and experiences.

Clearly you do a lot on campus, what do you like to do when you’re not doing work or participating in these activities?

I love to spend quality time with my friends, whether it be during two-hour Foss meal squats, or 90s movies snuggle sessions. They are my family here!

Do you have any idea what you want to do post-graduation? 

I would love to pursue crafting domestic affairs public policy, but I am still figuring out which issues in particular I want to focus on. Perhaps, one day, I would like to go into public service – in which case, vote for me

Brett is a senior at Colby College. She is an international studies and anthropology double major, and spent her first semester of college in Dijon, France.  She enjoys writing, traveling, Gossip Girl, and Thai food. Already having interned at fashion designers and magazines, she is excited to contribute to Her Campus! She is also a certified personal trainer and loves working out.