Tips for Keeping Calm at Room Draw

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

This upcoming week is stressful not only because there are midterms to be taken and papers to be written, but also because its time for room draw! As a first-year student, this is the first chance you have to choose where you want to live and who you want to live with, or for juniors its time to think about apartments, off campus houses, or suites. Emotions can run high as you are forced to make quick decisions and think on your feet in the Heights lounge, so here are a few tips on how to avoid the drama and end up with a great room!

Think things through ahead of time. I cannot stress this enough. Know who you want your roommate(s) to be before you get to room draw. If you are hoping for a triple or quad, be sure to plan ahead and know what the breakdown will be if only doubles or triples are left. This set plan will help avoid hurt feelings and potential rifts in friend groups.

Think about where you want to live and what some of your top choice rooms may be. Floor plans will be available online, so it’s easy to look there and get a good idea of what is available. Consider where your friends are living, location on campus, and accommodation or theme housing. Sometimes you will notice a hidden gem room on a floor plan that you did not know existed on campus.

When the whole process is over, everyone will have a room and a roommate, so don’t worry too, too much! Take a deep breath and enjoy the ride. Good luck!

Photo Credit: http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/…

Gillian graduated from The Winsor School in Boston, MA in 2012 and is now a member of the class of 2016 at Colby College.