Understanding an INFJ

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

(If you are unfamiliar with the Myers Briggs Typology, visit 16personalities.com to figure out what yours is!)

What is an INFJ? (Introvert, INtuitive, Feeler, Judgement)

Well, we (I am one) are considered “The Advocates”. We are the rarest personality type, and yet we always seem to find each other. Our NF combo makes us fall into the “Diplomat” category, meaning we have a strong sense of idealism. Here’s a handy dandy breakdown of what it means to be an INFJ.

INFJ Personality Overview:

INFJ’s like to help people. In fact, they see that as their main goal in life. Though they tend to want to solve the problems of humanity entirely, rather than just fix the current problem that presents itself. They’re soft spoken introverts, meaning they get their energy from their alone time. However, they’re very opinionated beasts who want to desperately take steps to impact the world in some way. They want to do big things, and have the personality for it. They think big, and will throw themselves into causes they think are worth their time. Causes also include people, as INFJ’s tend to be “Rescuer” types. 

People often perceive INFJ’s as being Extroverted types because of their ability to connect and communicate with others. However, they need to remember that too much social interaction and extroverted energy will leave them burnt out. They need time to be alone with their thoughts and recharge. INFJ’s tend to push themselves too far, and it takes conscious effort on their part to remember to live to fight another day. 

INFJ’s value honesty and authenticity over anything else. The fakeness of small talk does not appeal to them, and they’d much rather have a candid conversation than a fluffy one. They speak in human terms, not logical ones. Their Fe is a major part of their communication skills, and they make great shoulders to cry on, even if they don’t think so themselves. However, they tend to be private people, trying to present the idea of themselves that they want to project onto people, but having a hard time actually opening up. They’re also a tad too sensitive because of the love and effort they tend to throw into people and projects.

INFJ Compatibility:

INFJ’s work best with

– ENFPs (Extrovert, INtuitive, Feeler, Perceiving) “The Campaigner”

– ENTPs (Extrovert, INtuitive, Thinker, Perceiving) “The Debater”

– INTJs (Introvert, INtuitive, Thinker, Judgement) “The Architect””

– Other INFJs

INFJ Career Paths:

Popular careers for INFJs include

– Psychiatrists, Therapists, Social Workers, Counselors, Geneologists, HR Managers, Legal Mediators, Elementary & Special Education Teachers, Librarians, Editors, Writers, Graphic Designers, Animators, Artists, Musicians, and Interior Designers.

INFJs You May Know:

Historical Figures: Plato, Gandhi, Thomas Jefferson, Dante Alighieri, Mary Wollstonecraft, Baruch Spinoza, Leo Tolstoy, Adolf Hitler, Osama Bin Laden, Chaing Kai-Shek, Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King Jr, Mother Theresa, Jimmy Carter

Celebrities: Marilyn Manson, Al Pacino, Daniel Day-Lewis, Cate Blanchett, David Schwimmer, George Harrison, Benedict Cumberbatch, Morgan Freeman

Fictional INFJs: Sansa Stark, Charles Xavier, Yoda, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Sam Winchester, Gandalf, The Eighth Doctor, Remus Lupin, Jon Snow, Desmond Hume

I'm like hey, what's up, hello. I write things that either make your face look like this:    Or like this: ​   There is no in between.