samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

An Ode to My Planner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

I had never thought much about planners until college, and even then, I wasn’t super concerned about it until the middle of my sophomore year. All through high school, I always used basic planners from Target that had a monthly layout and a weekly layout. I was really only concerned about was keeping track of due dates and writing down my homework. My schedule stayed relatively consistent day-to-day, and I wasn’t involved in many extracurriculars. Even freshman year of college, my schedule stayed relatively consistent throughout the year, so I only felt like I needed a monthly calendar and a place to write down my homework each day. Then sophomore year rolled around.

The fall semester came and went, and I kind of just floated on by using the same old system I always had. As spring semester progressed, I started to get busier and I felt like I never had time for anything. It seemed as though I wasn’t keeping track of my time well. I decided that I wanted to be more organized and more thoroughly plan my days.

I’ve always been a pretty organized person. I love color coding and could walk around Staples or Office Depot for hours and genuinely enjoy myself. I wanted to find a planner system that would keep me really organized and really be able to plan out my day, week, and month. That’s when I found my Day Designer. Each day has it’s own whole page where you can write down your schedule for the day, as well as a to-do list. There are also places to write down other things you may need to remember, like dinner plans or things that are due. I had heard of them before, but always figured it was more than I needed. I didn’t consider myself to be “busy” so I didn’t think I needed to so specifically plan out each day. But things had changed: I was busy and felt like I needed to make a change. I started using printable versions of Day Designer pages to see if I liked the layout, and even started implementing some of their tools into my current planning system. I decided I would buy a Day Designer for the next school year.

I’ve been using my Day Designer since June and it’s honestly changed my life. It kept me super organized through my busy summer of a full-time internship and online classes, and is keeping me organized and focused this school year, especially as I start to get busier with on campus organizations and involvements as well as being a full-time student.

I personally recommend the Day Designer, but there are so many types of planners at so many different price points, so your perfect one is definitely out there! I really encourage everyone to find a good planning system for them because it makes it so much easier to stay organized and productive. Find what works for you, and you’ll be on your way to being even more unstoppable. 

I'm a junior at CNU majoring in communication studies and minoring in psychology. I spend most of my time in the library or binge-watching somethng on netflix. I enjoy the outdoors, a good cup of coffee, taking care of animals and the environment, and writing articles about topics that matter to me. Enjoy!