Campus Spotlight: Digicurb

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Ever wanted a ride-sharing service that consisted of just people you knew or with whom you had a common connection? Digicurb, the latest app CNU students can utilize in order to get from one place to another in a safe and reliable manner, aims to do just that.

Digicurb Brand Ambassador and CNU senior, Vashaun Brandon, explained, “(Digicurb) is in no way affiliated with CNU, but there is a team of CNU students orchestrating the outreach and promotion of it. There are three of us and we are all Marketing majors.”

You might be wondering how exactly the service works. To use the app, you must first download Digicurb through Google Play or the Apple Store and you must be a CNU student, which is determined through your cnu.edu email address. From there, you can choose to register as a rider and/or driver. During the trial period starting now until April 30, 2016, riders will pay $0.49 a minute for the service, while drivers could make up to $20.00 an hour.  

On top of having competitive rates, Digicurb aims to create a sense of community and security for both drivers and passengers. Said Brandon, “We believe that Digicurb can be used for more than just getting a fellow student from point A to point B. It’s about connecting and building on the great community that already exists here at CNU. It’s also a cool way to meet new people and feel safe when catching a ride with one of your peers. Students can feel safe in knowing that they will be getting in a vehicle with a fellow Captain after a night out instead of a complete stranger.” 

The app is already being used at schools such as William & Mary, ODU, and UVA, to name a few. Once the trial period at CNU is complete in April, an updated version of the app will be released for users. Until then, Digicurb is offering clubs and organizations on campus a chance to win $500 if they use the app the most during the trial period.  

Said Brandon, “This is something the Digicurb team is looking to expand to colleges all over Virginia and the country. My hope is that it will be a viable resource for students here at CNU… Why would you ever roll with anyone else?”

Rep image courtesy of Digicurb.

Lee Martin is a 20-year-old junior at Christopher Newport University majoring in Communication Studies with minors in Leadership and Women's & Gender Studies. She co-founded CNU's chapter of Her Campus and currently serves as Co-Campus Correspondent/Editor-in Chief, as well as a Chapter Advisor to five other campuses. As a journalist, she has written for The Oyster Pointer, The Winchester Star, and worked with National Student Leadership Conference's Journalism, Film & Media Arts program. When not writing, you can find her binging on chocolate and coffee while laughing at Parks and Rec or The Office. If you must read her silly musings, follow her on Twitter at @loveleeforlife