Ben Leistensnider ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Full Name: Benjamin Alan Leistensnider

Year: Sophomore

Major: English with a Literature Concentration; Leadership Studies and Communications double minor.

Hometown: Philadelphia, PA

Relationship Status: Single

Involvement on campus: “I am the sports editor for the Captain’s Log. I got my position with that the second semester of my freshman year. I was the first freshman to be an editor. I’m also in the CNU Scuba diving club. Last semester I was inducted into the Alphi Chi Honor Fraternity and I got an invitation to join Sigma Tau Delta, an English honor’s fraternity this semester, as well.”

What are your major career goals?: “Profession-wise, I am looking to be a high school English teacher. And if the high school has, like, a high school paper, then I could be the sponsor for that. That is my professional goal. My dream job, though, is to be a father and husband.”

Do you have any hobbies?: “I mean, I like taking pictures. I’m potentially opening up a side business, so like event photography. I just got a tripod and a strobe flash for that. And, since I am an English major, I obviously like reading. So when I do have free time, between schoolwork and just hanging out with people, I like doing photos or I like to read.”

What’s your favorite holiday?: “My favorite holiday would probably be… let’s see. Yeah, it is a very difficult (question), because each holiday has its merits. So, like, for Halloween, for example, I could wear my Buddy the Elf costume. I would have to say probably Valentine’s day. Yeah, because I consider myself a hopeless romantic and so I’m just dreaming of the day when I can have the best Valentine’s Day ever.”

Do you have any role models?: “Both Mr. Clark and Mr. Chapin. Mr. Clark was my high school journalism teacher and he essentially got me started in the newspaper business and he was just one of the coolest guys around. All of the students, they loved him. He was a very relaxed, chill guy and I just wanted to be like him. And that brings up Mr. Chapin, who was my AP 12 English teacher and he was (the same) way. He related with his students very well and he was very passionate about English, which I kind of wanted to become. So I kind of want to become a mix of Mr. Clark and Mr. Chapin.”

What is your idea of an ideal date?: “I would probably have to say making her dinner and then potentially watching a movie after.”

What is one thing on your bucket list?: “Skydiving, because I’ve mastered the waters by scuba diving so now I’ll take it to the skies.”

What is your guilty pleasure?: “I really do enjoy singing Queen in the shower. Normally my playlist consists of “Somebody to Love,” “Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy,” and “Another One Bites the Dust.”

What would be your spirit animal?: “My spirit animal? Can I choose animated characters? Okay, I would probably say Pumba. He’s always there whenever Timon or Simba need him and he’s just a loveable person, or animal. You know, hakuna matata.”

Do you have any advice you would give someone who is interested in you?: “Just come talk to me. I’m not too good at showing my emotions, so there’s a good chance that I’m potentially interested. So just come talk with me, hang out with me.”

Describe yourself in 3 words: “Helpful, compassionate, and punny.”

Lee Martin is a 20-year-old junior at Christopher Newport University majoring in Communication Studies with minors in Leadership and Women's & Gender Studies. She co-founded CNU's chapter of Her Campus and currently serves as Co-Campus Correspondent/Editor-in Chief, as well as a Chapter Advisor to five other campuses. As a journalist, she has written for The Oyster Pointer, The Winchester Star, and worked with National Student Leadership Conference's Journalism, Film & Media Arts program. When not writing, you can find her binging on chocolate and coffee while laughing at Parks and Rec or The Office. If you must read her silly musings, follow her on Twitter at @loveleeforlife