Tropical Spring Break Essentials: 6 Must-Have Products for Your Big Trip!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Spring Break is finally here, that moment you’ve been waiting for all semester, maybe even all year. Before you run off and shed your winter coat for your cute new bikini, here are some must-have products to make you look and feel your best during Spring Break. You don’t want to forget to pack these Spring Break essentials.

TRAVEL TIP!

Since most of us will be flying to reach our tropical destinations we have to abide by the TSA regulations for liquids, creams and gels in carry-on bags. If you do not plan to check a bag, visit your local drug store to find travel-size containers you can use to put store of your favorite beauty products in.

Leave-In Conditioner

The sun can really do a number on our tresses so it’s important to keep them as healthy as possible while we’re out lounging in the tropical heat. Beachy waves can be nourished with a good spritz of leave-in conditioner. If you prefer to go au naturale you can opt for some Moroccan Argan oil. Apply to the ends of your hair to avoid greasy roots. These leave-ins can provide your hair with the vitamins and moisture they need. One of my favorites is “It’s a 10” leave-in which leaves my hair soft and shiny.

Moisturizer with SPF

Moisturizer with nutrients and SPF can be a great way to get the protection you need without clogging your pores. There’s nothing like an awful zit to ruin your sunny complexion. Don’t forget to opt for SPF of at least 25 for the safest option.

Aveeno has some highly rated moisturizers with essential protection, which I use under my own make up every day. If you do happen to have some blemishes or spots that you would like to cover up but don’t want to wear makeup to the beach, tinted moisturizers are another great option to give you the coverage you need.

Self-Tanner

Nothing’s worse than being the palest person at the beach. It’s quite easy to spot those who have been shielded under the clouds for the last winter months. Though self-tanners get a bad rap sometimes giving some of us that oompa-loompa orange glow, there are products out there that actually do the job right. Jergen’s has some great gradual moisturizing lotions. Sally Hansen’s Airbrush Legs spray has given me pretty good results, and HSN’s Tan Towel is also known to do wonders. Don’t forget to exfoliate your skin before you self-tan and make sure you have dry, clean skin to work with for the best results.
[pagebreak]
Sunscreen

Though this may seem like the most obvious choice we can’t forget to protect ourselves from those harmful UV rays. Sure you want to tan, but before you get your Snooki on don’t forget the dangerous effects of the sun and the possibility of skin cancer. Besides, no one wants to end up looking like a wrinkley old lady at the age of 30. Go for the more nourishing sunscreens to get the moisturizing benefits and protection you need.

A Beachy Fragrance

Ladies, it is time to put down those heavy perfumes. Spring is here and it’s time for something a little lighter and more fun. Fruity body sprays are always a good choice. If you must perfume yourself go for a light, sweet fragrance. Having a good spray in your beach bag available can be handy when the sun, sweat and sand leave you with some unpleasant body odors.

Waterproof Eyes

So you want to go for the natural makeup-less look, but let’s face it: some of us still need a little help. Waterproof mascara and eyeliner are great for dressing up your beach look. Skip the bottom liner for the beach though, this look can be a bit heavy for the waves. A light coating of waterproof mascara can be just enough.

Armed with these beauty essentials for the topical Spring Break, nothing will hold you down on your precious vaycay. It’s Spring Break—live it up!

Lauren Mobertz studies Professional Writing and Hispanic Studies at Carnegie Mellon University, and will graduate in May 2012. To fuel her interest in urban studies, Lauren interned at Oakland Planning and Development Corporation in fall 2010. Since she received her passport, Lauren has not spent more than 7 consecutive months in the US. She spent spring 2011 in Santiago, Chile, translating documents for Educación 2020 and practicing her salsa; summer 2010 in Durban, South Africa, studying the social and economic impacts of the FIFA World Cup and volunteering for WhizzKids United; and spring break 2010 hosting art workshops in Siuna, Nicaragua. Somehow, she always manages to keep up with How I Met Your Mother and a little bit of running, no matter what city she's based in. Lauren hopes to settle down in the East Coast and enter education administration.