Surviving Carnival Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Carnival is finally here! It’s the event we’ve all been waiting for. With various club parties and big concerts starring Mac Miller and Icona Pop, Carnival is undoubtedly going to be a blast! But with much fun comes great responsibilities. Carnival is meant for students to have fun, go out and enjoy every moment of no classes. However, this does not necessarily mean it’s an opportunity for us to get completely lost in all the drinking culture on campus. It’s important to remind ourselves to be careful and mindful of our actions. Safety always comes first and while it is important to have fun, it’s never acceptable to endanger ourselves in doing so.

Whether you’re underage or over 21, we all know most of us are going to be drinking this weekend. Drinking and partying is a quintessential part of college experience and it can be fun when done responsibly. Remember to always stick with a buddy or a group of friends you can rely on. If anything happens, you know you can always depend on them to be there with you and walk you back to your room. Also, don’t accept any drinks from a stranger and make sure you always know where your drink came from. No one is trustworthy at a party and people can easily mix things in your drink.

Ladies, try not to wear heels or any uncomfortable shoes to a party or a concert. Sure they’ll make you look taller and cute but they’re really impractical. If you don’t want sore, blistered feet by the end of the night, I suggest you wear comfortable shoes you can freely walk and run around in. Same rule applies to clothes as well. It is technically “spring” , but Pittsburgh weather is very erratic and it still gets pretty chilly at night. Since alcohol makes your body feel warmer than it really is, you can easily get sick the next morning. So try to dress wisely and always bring a sweater or a jacket with you.

Lastly, before going out, remember to put all emergency contacts in your phone so you have it with you 24/7. You might think nothing will happen but you never know. Even little things that might not be immediate emergency can come up and you might need to call campus police.

Have fun, behave wisely and be safe! Carnival comes only once a year so make it one of your most memorable experiences here at CMU and make sure you don’t leave with any regrets! If you do decide to go out, remember to stay safe and enjoy yourself!

I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports.