Michal Friedman—Giving Immigrants a New Name

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

She´s conducted research in Spain. Interacted with anthropological work in Merida and Mayan-speaking pueblos in Yucatan, Mexico. Worked with immigrants in Squirrel Hill, Pittsburgh. What´s more—she teaches on our campus.

Michal Friedman, professor of history, thrives in aiding those subjugated by the law. Through her work with the Welcome Center for Immigrants & Internationals in Pittsburgh, Michal quickly found an important new niche where her dedication could be used to help improve immigrants´ lives.

Michal, an immigrant herself, partnered with Alfonso Barquera to form a community for Latino youths in Pittsburgh. You might be surprised to know that dozens of youth from all over Pittsburgh have actively participated in this group since its inception, and they hope to give themselves a name.

Though this group is barely over a year old, you can already find their work at Duquesne University´s Les Idees Gallery, the Latino Family Center in Squirrel Hill, and or every Saturday evening in Baker Hall, where they hold film workshops to prepare for their upcoming film screening. The group´s name? Jóvenes Sin Nombres, youths without names.

Michal discussed the group and its accomplishesments with me.

Los Jóvenes are such a successful group–how, when, and why did you decide to start up this ground-breaking group in Pittsburgh?
It happened quite organically. Two years ago I was doing some work for The Welcome Center for Immigrants & Internationals (WCII), a local NGO. At the Welcome Center I came into contact with many Latino immigrants and began to gain familiarity with many of the obstacles members of this emergent community faced in their new environment. Around the same time, I met Alfonso Barquera, a native of Guanajuato who brought his experiences as a student activist at the UNAM in Mexico City and involvement in the Zapatista Movement to bear on his work as a champion of immigrants’ rights here in Pittsburgh. 

We decided to invite a group Latino youths to meet with us at the WCII to provide a space in which they could express themselves in a city where (up until then) young Latinos felt marginalized, anonymous, without names. And the truth was that we did not really know how many youths would actually show up or how much interest there would be.But already in the first meeting, the jóvenes came pouring in from our local high schools and universities, and from their often invisible work places. And not only did they arrive, but they arrived with all their infectious energy, enthusiasm, intelligence and talent.    

What have los Jóvenes accomplished since its inception? How did you view your role as you helped the group attain its goals?
I think that perhaps the most remarkable accomplishment of the group is the formation of a cohesive community that has attracted and inspired young people from all backgrounds and nationalities, as well as some of the city’s more talented and cutting edge artists. 

I always understood my role to be that as an advocate for Latino youth and young people in general, before anything else… While providing direction and guidance I always tried to give the jovenes enough space to become leaders in their own right following a model based on the idea of youth leading youth.  Witnessing the growth of these young people and their transformation into leaders as well as their ability to form an admirable community has by far been the most gratifying part of my work with the group.   

How do you connect your work with los Jóvenes to your work at CMU?
My own research and writing deals with the ways Spaniards have constructed their identities in relation to Spain’s multicultural past and the “convivencia” of Christians, Muslims and Jews.

Do you work with immigrants (latino and non-latino) in Pittsburgh outside of los Jóvenes?    
When I worked at the Welcome Center I worked with immigrants from many places.  Once I recognized the potential and importance of building Jovenes Sin Nombres I decided to make that a priority.  I still help field questions and concerns of members of the Latino community who contact me for advice regarding their children’s prospects for continuing their education or references to tutors.     

For more information or to participate in LosJóvenes, contact Michal at mrf25 at andrew.cmu.edu or check out the website:  http://joveneslatinos.wordpress.com/ 

Lauren Mobertz studies Professional Writing and Hispanic Studies at Carnegie Mellon University, and will graduate in May 2012. To fuel her interest in urban studies, Lauren interned at Oakland Planning and Development Corporation in fall 2010. Since she received her passport, Lauren has not spent more than 7 consecutive months in the US. She spent spring 2011 in Santiago, Chile, translating documents for Educación 2020 and practicing her salsa; summer 2010 in Durban, South Africa, studying the social and economic impacts of the FIFA World Cup and volunteering for WhizzKids United; and spring break 2010 hosting art workshops in Siuna, Nicaragua. Somehow, she always manages to keep up with How I Met Your Mother and a little bit of running, no matter what city she's based in. Lauren hopes to settle down in the East Coast and enter education administration.
Julianne Grauel is a sophomore Professional Writing major at Carnegie Mellon University and is originally from the California Bay Area. At Carnegie Mellon she is a peer tutor for writing and an active sister in her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta. This past summer, she interned at Gentry Magazine and hopes to work for a magazine after college. Julianne loves football, sushi, sunshine, and dance parties. She probably consumes far too much Red Mango froyo and can’t get enough of Project Runway. In her free time she likes to travel, watch sports center, take spinning classes and, most of all, shop.