The Importance of Being a Tree Hugger

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Happy Earth Day!

Earth Day is one of my favorite holidays! I always try to do something a little extra nice for good ol’ Mother Nature on Earth Day because I think it’s important to respect our planet and take good care of it. After all, it’s the only home we have, and nature is beautiful!

Spring is finally (FINALLY) here and everyone is dying to get outside to enjoy the sunshine, flowers, and warm breezes. Let’s do everything we can to give back to the planet and take care of it so everyone now and for generations to come can continue to enjoy sunny spring days.

It doesn’t take much

One of the best parts about the earth is how well it is able to take care of itself. The earth has an amazing ability to recuperate and regenerate when it is left untouched by humans. So, any little thing you do to help the earth just makes its job a little easier. You can live every day like it’s Earth Day by making simple, small changes in your life.

Take a shorter shower. You wouldn’t think a few extra gallons of water would make a big difference in the grand scheme of things, but a few extra gallons every day adds up over the course of the year, and if you even save two gallons of water a day, by the end of the year you will have saved 730 gallons of water! That’s huge! If everybody decided to cut down on shower time, think how much water we could save. Never underestimate the power of a small change.

Turn off electrical devices when you aren’t using them. If it’s sunny outside, turn off the lights, open up the blinds in your room, and let the sun shine in. Unplug your phone charger when you aren’t using it. Turn the TV off if you aren’t watching it. Skip straightening your hair for a day and let it fall naturally. Every time you turn off an electrical device, you save a tiny bit of energy, and help the earth.

Recycle! It should be an obvious move by now, especially with the great recycling program we have here on campus, but be conscious of your waste. A lot more can be recycled than you probably think. In your lunch alone, you can recycle whatever container your drink comes in, your plate or takeout container, napkin, and your plastic utensils. Invest in a Camelback, a Brita, or some kind of reusable water bottle. It helps reduce waste and saves you money when you aren’t constantly buying packs of Aquafina.

Take a hike. Instead of driving, walk or bike to your destination if it is within a reasonable distance. Much like all other environmentally friendly moves you can make, this one helps you directly and indirectly – you get some exercise (physical activity releases feel-good hormones in your brain!) and reduce the amount of carbon dioxide released in the air by the burning of gasoline (cleaner air to sustain the earth, and for YOU to breathe!).

Don’t be a litterbug. Honestly, there is no reason why you should ever put your trash anywhere besides a trashcan (or recycling bin) – they are all over campus. If you are throwing your trash on the ground instead of in a trashcan, you’re just being lazy. Keep our campus clean! If you already adhere to this pretty basic rule (thank you for being a decent human being), take it one step farther. If you see trash around campus, pick it up and throw it away.

If you want to give a little more

There are tons of little ways you can help the planet in your everyday life, but maybe you’re feeling especially ambitious and you really want to make some kind of contribution to the planet. That’s great! Here are some ideas for anyone from the semi-ambitious to the world-changers.

Plant a tree. No matter what anyone tells you, everyone should be a tree-hugger. Trees are great. They give us food, keep us cool in the summer with their shade, are nice to look at, and give us oxygen. They’re kind of super important. The more we have, the better. Just talk to someone in charge of ground keeping if you want to plant a tree on campus.

See Disney Nature’s Bears. Every year, Disney makes a nature film for Earth Day (one of the reasons why this is one of my favorite holidays). This year, the film is called Bears and follows a mama grizzly bear, Sky, and her cubs. For adorable footage of baby bears, a heartwarming story about family, and breathtaking footage of Alaskan wilderness, see this movie. Another great part of Disney’s Earth Day movies is that in the opening week, a portion of the ticket price goes to some sort of nature fund that relates to the movie. For Bears, a portion of your ticket price will go to protecting our national parks. Watch the trailer here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GokpSaWswaQ.

Spread the word! There is a lot you can do to help, but you can’t go it alone. Tell your friends, tell your acquaintances, tell your enemies, tell people you don’t even know – spread the word and spread the love for planet Earth. Earth Day is a great reminder to take good care of our home. Let’s keep the spirit of Earth Day going all year long.

Interested in animal rights?

Sign up for the StuCo I’ll be teaching in the fall. The course number is 98-261 and the title is The Captivity Debate: Killer Whales. We will be discussing killer whales’ natural behavior, social structures, hunting patterns, etc. and exploring how their lives differ in captivity. Finally, we will ask “is it just to keep killer whales in captivity?” It will be a lot of fun and you’ll learn a lot!

I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports.