Entertainment Blog: TV Couples

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

In the spirit of Valentine’s Day, and also inspired by E! Online’s “TV’s Top Couples” Poll, I decided to share some of my favorite TV couples in this week’s blog.  Whether you’re single or taken this Valentine’s Day, take some inspiration from these couples.  Actually, that may not be the best idea in the case of those infamous will-they-or-won’t-they couples.  Either way, here are my picks for the top 10 TV couples:

1. Derek and Meredith- “Grey’s Anatomy”

Okay, if you’re not a Grey’s fan, you probably don’t care too much about this one, but these two have had an amazing relationship from season 1.  It’s been rough for the couple; they’ve been through a ferry accident, infertility, a plane crash, and more.  After all that, the couple is finally happy.  Finally.

2. Nick and Jess- “New Girl”

Probably the best will-they-or-won’t-they couple since Ross and Rachel, these two have opposite personalities but are so obviously meant to be together.  Warning: If you didn’t see the “Cooler” episode this is a spoiler, but we all know that we watched that kiss about a hundred times.  They’ve had chemistry since Jess moved into the loft, and like Harry and Sally, they’ve been with each other through it all.

3. Leonard and Penny- The Big Bang Theory

The classic “opposites attract” couple (experimental physicist and community college dropout), these two are truly the perfect couple.  Who could forget when Leonard first asked Penny out after she had a bad breakup?  Or the moment this season where Penny finally said “I love you”?  

4. Mr. Big and Carrie- “Sex and the City”

Okay, so we all wondered if Big was really the one; could he ever really commit?  We saw Carrie’s relationship with Aiden fall apart first because of her affair with Big, then because she couldn’t commit.  We saw Big come back to her every time.  We still wonder if she belongs with Aiden after their kiss in the second movie.  But through it all, we know in our hearts that these two commitment-phobes are meant to be together.

5. Ross and Rachel- “Friends”

From the moment when he didn’t get to take her to the prom, to “we were on a break,” to the red sweater, to having a baby together, to Joey’s proposal, to “I got off the plane,” these two are truly the ultimate will-they-or-won’t-they couple.  They are also the best couple because they’ll always be there for each other, just like the theme song says.

6. Luke and Lorelai- “Gilmore Girls”

A love based on coffee and his patience, these two went through a lot of ups and downs.  We all knew they were meant to be together, and just like in every other TV show ever, they waited until the series finale to do it.  At least we know that everything is as it should be in Stars Hollow.

7. Jim and Pam- “The Office”

Was there anyone who didn’t jump for joy when these two got together? And was there anyone who wasn’t anxiously awaiting Pam and Roy to break up so that Jim could make his move?  When the couple finally wed, Office fans everywhere went “awww,” and even though there seems to be trouble in paradise in the final season, we’re all hoping that these two are together forever.

8. Danny and Mindy- “The Mindy Project”

Okay, so nothing has ever actually happened between these two to qualify them as a couple, but you would have to be completely oblivious to love if you didn’t realize the reason why Danny couldn’t be Mindy’s gynecologist.  Here’s to hoping that they don’t wait till the last episode to get together like those other TV couples.

9. Cam and Mitchell- “Modern Family”

Not only are they the world’s favorite gay couple, but they also have the sassiest child ever.  If that isn’t reason enough, they are a great couple that always supports each other, and they are another classic case of opposites attracting.  They may fight sometimes, but like their crazy family, nothing can tear them apart.

10. Schmidt and Cece- “New Girl”

The first episode of “New Girl” I ever watched was the one where everyone found out that Schmidt and Cece were sleeping together, and basically I’ve been hooked ever since.  Of course it would be boring if they just happily dated, so instead the two do everything in their power to make the other one jealous.  Would we expect anything less from TV?
I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports.