Campus Celebrity: Rachel Pustejovsky ‘15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Let’s face it, senior year of college can be pretty scary, and Rachel Pustejovsky, a senior directing major, will be the first to admit it.

“The idea that after sixteen years of school, I’m about to be done with it forever, I’m not into it” said Rachel, shaking her head with a laugh.

Rachel’s time at Carnegie Mellon may be coming to a close, but she has spent her years here well. From being the first president of Carnegie Mellon’s chapter of Alpha Phi to being the Installations Curator for the Playground Drama Festival this year, Rachel has always been heavily involved in Carnegie Mellon, both inside and out of Purnell.

However, Rachel spent some time away from Pittsburgh this past spring, taking an opportunity to further her studies in directing in New York City. Rachel spent the semester interning at the Juilliard School and the Keen Company, and watching thirty-six Broadway shows, all of which were paid for by her program. When asked for her favorite, her answer was immediately Hedwig and the Angry Inch starring Neil Patrick Harris.

“It was a beautiful production from top to bottom” said Rachel. “Neil Patrick Harris and Lena Hall gave incredible performances.”

Looking back at her time at Carnegie Mellon, Rachel notes the things that she has learned here, highlighting the importance of student involvement.

“Students run the most beloved parts of this university, like Carnival, and Greek Sing…but are shut out of the parts that don’t function as well,” said Rachel.

However, when asked the single most important thing she learned at Carnegie Mellon, Rachel’s answer was simple and sweet. “How to collaborate,” she answered with smile.

Senior year may still be intimidating, but Rachel is excited for the new adventures and opportunities that await her, and has a clear path cut out for herself after graduation.

“I would really like to eventually be an artistic director of a theatre company” said Rachel. “I would essentially be the artistic face of the company, and take care of things like casting, hiring, and serving the producer, and if it is a smaller company, possibly doing the logistics and business side as well.”

Rachel may be leaving us in the spring, and although we will be missing an incredibly involved and passionate member of our campus community, there will always be students like her to continue her legacy of involvement and student collaboration at Carnegie Mellon.

I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports.