7 Places Straight Out of a Dr. Seuss Book

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

While the world of Dr. Seuss is wonderful, our own world is pretty great too. Here’s a look at seven places that look like they came from the pages of a Dr. Seuss book.

7. Trinity Alps – The Lorax

While the Western Pasque Flowers found in the Trinity Alps might not be as brightly colored as the truffula trees, they certainly have a fluffy quirkiness that would make them right at home in any Dr. Seuss book.

6. Ksar Ouled Soltane – Oh the Places You’ll Go

As it turns out, the places you’ll go might include the North African country of Tunisia. Ksar Ouled Soltane is only a fortified granary, but its curved rooftops and blocky staircases would make it a wonderful home for any Dr. Seuss creature.

5. Northern California Hills – I Had Trouble Getting to Solla Sellew

This path might not take you to Solla Sellew, but the scenery is breathtaking nonetheless.

4. Louisiana Bayou Tree House – The Lorax

If you thought that wonky architecture and oddly stacked houses could only be found in ficion, then you might need to schedule a visit to Lousiana. This Bayou tree house has all the whimsy of a Dr. Seuss creation, although it’s more likely to contain an opossum than the onceler.

3. California Flower Farm – Oh the Places You’ll Go

Fittingly, Oh the Places You’ll Go appears again on this list. This time, the place you’ll go is a California flower farm, where large rectangles of blue and purple dominate the landscape and you can breathe in the “wide open air” Dr. Seuss talks so fondly about.

2. Mount Fuji – Horton Hears a Who

While I can’t promise that this field of Shibazakura blooms contains a tiny world filled with tiny people, I can promise that it is just as beautiful as the clover field found in Horton Hears a Who.

1. Joshua Tree Park – What Was I Scared of?

Joshua Tree Park at night is stunning; the area is cast with a blue glow, the twisting trees turn black in the shadows, and distant stars twinkle overhead. Unfortunately, there aren’t any pale green pants floating around, but no place is perfect.

What do you think? Would you ever want to visit any of these magical places? Let us know in the comments! 

I'm a lover of writing, art and music. I'm always down for a chat, and love listening to people tell their stories.