5 Things To Do When School Ends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

1. Catch up on socialization.

Every year we seem to lose our social life in the midst of Carnegie Mellon’s deluge of exams and papers. However, the end of the year is perfect to reconnect. You do not have to worry about classes or grades. Free of this pressure, I encourage you all to take some time and make plans to have fun with your friends.  Go get ice cream at Dave and Andy’s or Oh Yeah! See a new movie at the Manor Theatre! Stay in, have a sleepover, and spend the whole night catching up on how your friends are doing!

2. Change something about your appearance.

Summer is a time for new beginnings. If you have always wanted to get your ear pierced or if you have been contemplating cutting your hair in a new style, do it! Summer is a wonderful time to see whether or not you really like the change you are making. It does not have to be permanent because, most likely, no one from school will see it (as long as you keep the Facebook pictures to a minimum)!

3. Sign up for a class in something you have never done before.

If you have spent the year wishing you could learn something and been miserable because you could not fit it into your busy Carnegie Mellon schedule, try doing it now. If you want to learn to code, take a summer class! If you want to learn to surf, find a beach with some good waves and start swimming!  If you would like to learn how to shape glass, take a class at the Pittsburgh Glass Center! You have free time now.

4. Start reading again.

For people who love reading and writing, you probably take a lot of classes in those areas. Therefore, you are probably asked to read a lot of books for your courses and do not end up reading books that you, personally, would like to read.  Ask your friends for suggestions or just head to the library. I recommend that everyone read Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri.

5. Take some time for you and don’t accomplish anything.

Classes are over and you finally have a chance to take a break from the constant need to complete assignments and move forwards. Take a walk in the park or spend some time simply thinking. Remove yourself from the cyclone of accomplishment and just exist for a few moments.

Have a wonderful summer! You all deserve it.

Photo Source: http://openphoto.net/gallery/image/similar+to+15345/7330

I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports.