5 Things to Do Before Autumn Is Over

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

It’s the middle of the semester and it’s getting more and more difficult to fully embrace the beauty of the season, especially when you’re totally swamped with work.  When you’re not sitting in class or doing homework, you’re studying for exams, attending meetings, or catching up on much-needed sleep.  Before you know it autumn has passed and the snow is here to stay.  But you don’t have to miss out on all the fall traditions!  Here are seven seasonal things to do before the warmer weather leaves for good:

1. Pick or paint pumpkins

One of the most traditional fall activities is pumpkin-picking.  Head to a pumpkin patch with your friends and pick some pumpkins to decorate your room or apartment!  Check out this website that includes a list of Pittsburgh Area Fall festivals & pumpkin patches: http://www.pumpkinpatchesandmore.org/PApwest.php. No time for a pumpkin patch? No problem! Grab a few pumpkins from a local grocery store and decorate them with paint instead.

2. Drink apple cider

Nothing beats a chilly day better than a steaming mug of spiced apple cider!  You can buy a gallon at almost any grocery store.  If you have extra time, you can even make your own homemade cider!  Try out the following easy recipe:

Ingredients:

6 cups apple cider

¼ cup real maple syrup

2 cinnamon sticks

6 whole cloves

6 whole allspice berries

1 orange peel, cut into strips

1 lemon peel, cut into strips

Directions

• Pour the apple cider and maple syrup into a large stainless steel saucepan.
  • Place the cinnamon sticks, cloves, allspice berries, orange peel and lemon peel in the center of a washed square of cheesecloth; fold up the sides of the cheesecloth to enclose the bundle, then tie it up with a length of kitchen string. Drop the spice bundle into the cider mixture.
  • Place the saucepan over moderate heat for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the cider is very hot but not boiling.
  • Remove the cider from the heat. Discard the spice bundle. Ladle the cider into big cups or mugs, adding a fresh cinnamon stick to each serving if desired.

3. Create a Halloween costume

Where’s the fun in buying a Halloween costume at the store?  It’s so much more fun (and probably cheaper) to be creative and make one yourself!

5. Bake a pumpkin pie

Pumpkin pies are the epitome of fall traditions.  There’s just something that makes pumpkin-flavored desserts taste better this time of year.  You can pick up one from the store, or you can make your own!  Follow this link for an easy pumpkin pie recipe: https://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/18470/libbys-famous-pumpkin-pie/

6. Go for a walk in the woods

Fall is probably the most beautiful time of year, especially in Pittsburgh.  But sometimes we get so caught up in thinking about school and extracurriculars that we forget to take a look around and really enjoy the beautiful autumn foliage.  If you have some extra time, go for a walk in the woods and enjoy the crisp fall air and the beautiful colors on the trees. It won’t be long before the colorful leaves are gone for good!

7. Watch a scary Halloween movie

What better way to get yourself psyched for Halloween than to totally creep yourself out with some scary movies?  Sleepy Hollow, The Changeling and The Amityville Horror are all great options.  Grab your friends and some Halloween candy, turn out all the lights and prepare to be scared senseless.  Check out this website that’s rounded up the best Halloween movies for a scary night in:  http://www.rd.com/slideshows/halloween-movies-scare-you-senseless/

8. Eat candy corn

No other candy can match the creamy taste of candy corn, a sweet Halloween favorite.  The little yellow, orange and white treat is an icon among the holiday candies and has a legacy that goes back more than a century.  When the Goelitz Confectionery Company first produced candy corn in the 1880s, it was called “Chicken Feed.”  The boxes were illustrated with a colorful rooster logo and a tag line that read “Something worth crowing for.”  And did you know that candy corn is one of the healthier candies of the Halloween season?  It contains roughly 28 grams of sugar and only 140 calories per heaping handful — and it’s fat free!  So go grab a pack of candy corns and indulge with your friends!

Photo source: http://www.freeimages.com/

I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports.