40 Things Every Collegiate Woman Should Know and Have by the Time She Graduates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

The sand is about to run out in the hourglass of my educational career. I can’t believe graduation (my 3rd one!) is right around the corner. So I can’t help being nostalgic and looking back on my last five years at Carnegie Mellon. I’ve had my fair share of rough patches, but mostly cherished memories, whether it was nights spent in Hunt Library or laughs shared with my orientation counselor buddies. But now that it’s time to jump into the real world I begin to wonder about all the know-how I’ve collected over my collegiate career.

Recently Glamour’s 1997 article “30 Things Every Woman Should Have/and Should Know by the Time She’s 30” was passed along to me. This got me thinking about compiling a list of all the things a girl should have and know by the time she graduates. With a little help from some friends I’ve come up with this pretty interesting list.

A Graduating Collegiate Woman Should Know:

1. Basic life skills like how to pay your rent, change a light bulb, etc.
  2. How to be comfortable without makeup- Joy Nelson ‘11
  3. Your alcohol tolerance
  4. How to wear heels
  5. What you’re looking for in a relationship- Crystal Wray ‘12
  6. How to be happy single
  7. Hook-ups happen left and right, get over it- Lauren Hirata ‘12
  8. When dressed for the night, consider how you’re going to look walking home the next morning – Anonymous
  9. What “business” and “business casual” mean
  10. How to survive on little sleep
  11. How to write a cover letter and give an elevator speech- Elyssa Goodman ‘10
  12. How to respect yourself and your body
  13. Your love life isn’t everything
  14. How to cook dinner- Ashtyn Hemendinger ‘12
  15. How to manage your money
  16. How to pick yourself up after a break-up
  17. How to flirt
  18. What helps you de-stress- Andrea Irwin ‘09
  19. Who you can lean on in times of trouble
  20. How you’ve changed in good and bad ways after college- Molly Walter ‘12

A Graduating Collegiate Woman Should Have:

1. A little black dress & a pair comfortable heels
  2. A friend who listens & a friend to go out with
  3. A good skin care regimen & workout routine
  4. A Netflix account- Emily Anderson ‘11
  5. Willingness to start at the bottom again and work your way up
  6. A handful of college-only experiences you can grow from
  7. The perfect interview outfit
  8. Your own bank account
  9. A signature go-to drink at the bar
  10. An awesome resume
  11. Social media awareness
  12. A feel-good song
  13. Wonderful self-confidence
  14. A LinkedIn profile
  15. A handy pair of back-up flats- Emily Raffensperger ‘11
  16. A desire to keep learning
  17. A pair of perfectly fitting jeans
  18. Your own credit card
  19. A go-to date night outfit
  20. A group of friends to last past college

Looking back on all these things I’m sure there are tons of others that we all could’ve added but our list just reminds me of how far I’ve come in the last five years. I’ll never forget these “best years of my life.” 

Lauren Mobertz studies Professional Writing and Hispanic Studies at Carnegie Mellon University, and will graduate in May 2012. To fuel her interest in urban studies, Lauren interned at Oakland Planning and Development Corporation in fall 2010. Since she received her passport, Lauren has not spent more than 7 consecutive months in the US. She spent spring 2011 in Santiago, Chile, translating documents for Educación 2020 and practicing her salsa; summer 2010 in Durban, South Africa, studying the social and economic impacts of the FIFA World Cup and volunteering for WhizzKids United; and spring break 2010 hosting art workshops in Siuna, Nicaragua. Somehow, she always manages to keep up with How I Met Your Mother and a little bit of running, no matter what city she's based in. Lauren hopes to settle down in the East Coast and enter education administration.