3 Reasons My Zara is Different Than Yours

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

We all know Zara. It is part of one of the biggest retailer groups around the world, Inditex, which owns other brands such as Massimo Dutti or Stradivarius. However, as I have travelled around, I realized it represents different things in different parts of the world. The fashion brand adapts to each country it is in, and much like the styles it has us used to, Zara is a chameleon. Despite its differences, Zara is one of the best liked brands around the world because of its stylish and up to dated pieces.

Here are some practices the retailer adopts that make it a unique presence in each of the countries it is in, and the reasons behind these strategies.

#1 – Prices

Zara clothes are priced very differently all over the world. As you can see from the pictures above, some products in the United States can cost as much as 70% more of the price of the same product in Spain. While this can be attributed to shipping costs, transportation or customs of this country, a great part simply has to do with what people are willing to pay. What we think of Zara influences the prices, which leads me to my next point.

#2 – Image

Aside from prices, the biggest difference in Zara around the world is the brand’s image. In the US, it is perceived as a symbol of elegance and taste. In Portugal, it is an affordable way to be on top of trends. In fact, in places like Southern Europe Zara is known for the good price-quality relation whereas in countries such as the United States or the UK it is associated with higher quality, more sophisticated and contemporary designs.

#3 – Styles

While it feels like sometimes the world is pushing us to uniformize the way we dress, I disagree. And so does Zara. Every country has its own traditions, values and customs that represent a very singular way of life. In the same way, this cultural aspects extends to people and the way they dress by influencing individual styles beyond any global pressure. In an effort to adapt, Zara introduces in all of its collections several unique pieces to each country that represent distinct characteristics. More so, they cater to local necessities by considering the seasonal features of each location.

By now I hope Zara has sent all of its warmer jackets to Pittsburgh!

Photo sources: zara.com and cnn.com

I am currently senior majoring in Business Administration and Statistics with a track in Finance at Carnegie Mellon University. Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Enid Blyton and J.K Rowling are a few of my favorite authors. I also love watching British TV shows (Sherlock is my favorite!). On campus, I am involved in several activities, including Carnegie Mellon Business Association and Smart Woman Securities.