This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.
TakeNote of This 

What is it like to be a part of Clemson’s only all-female a cappella group? It’s 

not easy, that’s for sure. As a proud member of this amazing group of singers, I want 

to share with you some behind-the-scenes information about our members.  

TakeNote is comprised of 12-16 auditioned women, who are also members of 

either Clemson University Singers (also an auditioned ensemble) or Women’s Choir 

(no auditions required!). Members of our group arrange all of our music with help 

from our faculty advisor, David Conley. We release albums, learn music, give 

performances, and compete on the local and national level, all while finding the time 

to be full-time students. We rehearse twice a week and hold auditions every 

semester. It is a competitive process and we pride ourselves on the talent and 

dedication of our members. Here’s what they have to say: 

What is the best part about being in TakeNote?

“Being a part of TakeNote means that I get to put what I love as a priority – and 

work with some of the most talented and funny girls on campus along the way.” (Stephanie Hong, freshman)

“The best part about being in TakeNote is getting to sing current music with a group 

of girls who are just as enthusiastic about a cappella as I am. Everyone works 

together to put a creative twist on each piece and it’s amazing the hear the final product.” (Kaitlyn Scola, junior)

Why did you join TakeNote?
“A family friend was in the group, and encouraged me to audition. I love singing, so I 

decided to go for it.” (Baylee Brown, soph.)

“I wanted to be a part of something I’d been denied all through high school. 

TakeNote looked like heaven to me as an incoming freshman.” (Sallie McLeod, junior)

“When I first saw TakeNote perform, I was so impressed and envious of how much 

fun the members were having with each other on stage. I knew I had to be a part of it!” (Meg McCall, senior)

What is the most challenging part of TakeNote?

“Trying to combine so many different personalities and putting that into the music. 

Your personality is reflected in your voice, and it can be difficult to get that all to 

blend. “ (Colleen Kinslow, soph.)

“The most challenging part is juggling everything. But being in TakeNote has really 

taught me a lot about time management.” (Ellen Szubski, senior)

What is it like working with 15 other girls?

“There’s lots of estrogen.” (Stephanie Hong, freshman)

“It’s very interesting because there’s 15 girls that have come from different walks of 

life. To all come together to do something that we love is amazing.” (Perrin Hines, freshman)

How does the group compare to other, more traditional choirs?

“We have a lot of fun, especially outside of the choir room. I don’t hang out with 

people in CU Singers but I hang out with TakeNote every single day.” (Colleen Kinslow, soph.)

“We use the same choral knowledge. In both settings you’re sight reading, paying 

attention to vowels, and you’re surrounded by people you spend a lot of time with 

and grow with as musicians. Without what we learn in choir there would be no 

TakeNote.” (Hailey McShan, senior)

How are your relationships with the rest of the group?

“People come and go and the group changes every semester but each girl who has 

been a part of TakeNote brings something unique and special to the group and that’s 

what I love about it.” (Cori Nuttall, junior)

What will you miss most about TakeNote?

“I will miss the family of TakeNote. It is not just a singing group. We are there for 

each other through thick and thin.” (Sarah Disbrow, senior)

What types of performances are your favorites?

“My favorite performances are passionate, sexy, powerful, emotional, adrenaline 

driven performances.” (Sallie McLeod, junior)

“My favorite performances are concerts because all of our hard work is showcased 

in one night and our songs are performed at the highest level.” (Kaitlyn Scola, junior)

How is “VP” (vocal percussion/beatboxing) important to the sound of a song?

“It keeps the beat so we don’t get on different rhythms. It keeps everyone together 

and adds energy to every song.” (Hali Greenhouse, senior)

How does TakeNote help you in other aspects of your life?

“TakeNote keeps me sane. It is so different from everything else I do and offers 

something to de-stress me and take my mind off academics.” (Ellen Szubski, senior)

“I think it’s taught me a lot about time management and commitment. I’ve become a 

more organized, adult person because we constantly have stuff going on, gigs to 

attend, music to arrange. It’s helped me find a balance.” (Emily Leiendecker, junior)

TakeNote helps me build by confidence, especially with public speaking. When 

you’re in front of a large crowd it can be intimidating, and when you have to sing in 

front of them it’s a completely different story. But just like with anything else, 

practice makes perfect.” (Amy Lee, senior)

Do you have any advice for prospective members?

“Audition and keep coming back if you don’t get in your first try. Focus on your stage 

presence and pick a song that’s right for you. Keep a good attitude throughout the 

entire process.” (Ali Kerns, soph.)

“Reach out to us! I love when girls contact me asking what to expect, it makes me 

pay special attention to them when they audition. It’s an easy way to make a great 

first impression, and we want girls are proactive and passionate.” (Cori Nuttall, junior)

What has been your best memory of TakeNote?

“I think my favorite moment was my first semester when [the group] was singing a 

song I didn’t know. The girls said ‘just jump on and sing something’. I was singing 

something completely random but it still fit in the chord and it was awesome. It 

could’ve been really badly but ended up turning out really well.” (Hali Greenhouse, senior)

Many members didn’t get accepted the first time they auditioned. How did you 

stay positive and come back to audition again?

“Everyone was so nice and encouraged me to come back. During auditions I felt that 

they were genuinely thankful that I had tried out.” (Sarah Disbrow, senior)

What is your favorite song that you’ve sung with the group and why?

“Probably ‘Zero to Hero’ because it was one of the hardest songs we had, but once 

we got it, it become such a jam and shows how hard work really pays off.” (Baylee Brown, soph.)

“My favorite song we ever sang was ‘Love You Long Time’. The energy was crazy 

because we all loved it and interacted with each other so much.” (Cori Nuttall, junior)

Is there anything you want people to know about TakeNote?

“TakeNote requires a lot time inside and outside rehearsals. The girls are extremely 

devoted and passionate about not just a cappella but the musical development of the 

group.” (Ali Kerns, soph.)

If you’re curious about our sound, here is a link to our Carrie Underwood mash-up 

(which Carrie herself retweeted!). 

I hope you enjoyed learning about one of the many talented groups on campus, and 

we look forward to making music for you this semester!

My name is Carly McRae and I'm a junior at Clemson University. I'm studying Secondary Education with an emphasis in English and am in denial that I'm more than halfway done with school. I'm a member of TakeNote, our female a cappella group, Clemson University Singers, as well as the Beta Kappa chapter of Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity. I love being a Clemson tiger and am so excited to be writing for Her Campus!
Hey! My name's Liz and I'm a Sigma Kappa at Clemson University! I love my school more than anything in the world and love sharing that with y'all!!