This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Signs of Spring

We’re back from Spring Break, and campus is already in full spring mode. March 20th was the first official day of spring, and we couldn’t be more excited! Winter seems like a thing of the past as we head out in shorts to play soccer on Bowman Field. College students gleefully await the signs of spring ever year. They signal that the end of the semester is near and that great things are around the corner during the summer months. So in case you haven’t gotten the spring fever yet, let me remind you of a few signs of spring that will be sure to have you racing outside!

Longer Days

Ever since I was a little kid, I eagerly awaited the arrival of spring if only for the longer days. Longer days meant that I could play outside longer, and what elementary kid wouldn’t love that? In college, it’s nice to be walking to and from class in the sunshine, and those late labs are a little more bearable if it’s not pitch black when you walking back. It also makes you feel like you have a few more productive hours in the day to get work done. Thank you daylight savings…

Warmer Weather

We’ve had one ride of winter. Sometimes, I was unsure of what season we were actually in. We’ve gotten some pretty harsh winds and low temperatures this semester, too (snow day anyone?). All that is behind us now, as spring temperatures greet us each day. Yes, mornings are a bit chilly, but the day warms off nicely by the time class gets out. Also, we can finally wear shorts and not freeze! Flowy dresses, cute tanks, denim shorts, and of course, tons of T-shirts now stock our closets. No more need for that coat walking to class!

Flowers

It’s a well-acknowledged fact that the Clemson campus is absolutely beautiful! Every season brings about new things to appreciate on campus. And for spring, this means that we are privileged to see campus in full bloom. Trees regain their leaves, and new flowers sprout along the sidewalks. Fresh cut grass, blue skies, and sunny rays provide a nice backdrop as well. It makes those spring allergies just a little more bearable.

Outdoor Sports/Activities/Concerts

Campus life moves outdoors in the spring. Every single day, you can find students playing pickup games on Bowman, heading to Y Beach, or running through the President’s Park. Spring weekends are reserved for hiking/canoeing/rafting trips. Springtime also means that tons of concerts are moved outdoors (Jason Derulo in Death Valley anyone?) It’s so nice to finally move outdoors and enjoy this nice weather after being cooped up in the dorms for the winter.

Sunbathing

After class, it’s too nice and too early to head into the library or back to the dorms. You’ll find Clemson students around campus soaking up those midday rays as they take naps in the amphitheater, sit by the reflection bond, or hang out on Bowman. No matter whether you’re reading, doing homework, or just relaxing, it’s just so nice to be outside.

I hope you feel even more excitement at the arrival of spring. We’re almost done with the semester from here! We’re almost there! Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to head outside ☺

Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19
Hey! My name's Liz and I'm a Sigma Kappa at Clemson University! I love my school more than anything in the world and love sharing that with y'all!!