Reb’s Declassified Grammy Survival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

The Grammys are quickly approaching, with the big show just days away. They’re a crowd pleaser every year and this edition could be one of the toughest to predict. Perhaps the biggest surprise moments will be occurring on the stage and not in the envelopes. Every year a surprise collab takes the headlines.

Here are some performers to look out for:

• Chance the Rapper
  • Little Big Town
  • ADELE (Seriously when is she not someone to be on the lookout for?)
  • John Legend
  • Maren Morris
  • Prince Tribute (Bruno Mars maybe doing the Prince tribute? Count me in.)
  • Beyoncé (Queen B plus 2 will be making her first performance since announcing her pregnancy)
  • Katy Perry (will likely be performing new music after teasing fans on social media about music release this Friday the 10th)

The biggest categories, though, are not as sure of a bet than great performances will be. Here are some of my predictions for the biggest categories of the night.

RECORD OF THE YEAR

Gotta go with “Hello” here. This single put up absolutely huge sales numbers and you really can’t best Adele at radio airplay. I mean, how many times did you hear this song over the last year? Plus, that flip phone in the music video sent absolute shockwaves through pop culture.

“Hello” – Adele • “Formation” – Beyoncé • “7 Years” – Lukas Graham • “Work” – Rihanna Featuring Drake • “Stressed Out” – twenty one pilots

SONG OF THE YEAR

This category is more based on song quality versus how big of a hit it was. This is another case of Adele and Beyoncé versus the world. However, I think Queen B will edge out Adele here. “Formation” addressed and took on a movement plus it was dropped right before the Super Bowl last year and spurred an entire stadium tour.

“Hello” – Adele • “Formation” – Beyoncé • “7 Years” – Lukas Graham • “Love Yourself” – Justin Bieber • “I Took a Pill in Ibiza” – Mike Posner

BEST NEW ARTIST

This is a stacked category. My heart wants to go with Kelsea Ballerini or Maren Morris (definitely check out her album) but Chance has this in the bag. It’s unbelievable what he’s done without the traditional scheme and no one can ignore that. I wouldn’t be surprised if Marren came from left field though. She won the category at the CMAs in November and her momentum may carry her through to this show.

Kelsea Ballerini • The Chainsmokers • Chance The Rapper • Marren Morris • Anderson Paak

ALBUM OF THE YEAR

This is the last (and biggest) chapter of the Beyoncé and Adele versus the world book and boy is it the best one. Album of the Year is the night’s highest honor and this will definitely be one of the most competitive. The oddball of sorts is Sturgill Simpson – he’s made a big splash in Nashville but I don’t think it will be enough to even get a drop of water on Adele or Bey. Drake’s latest album had somewhat of mixed reviews following his collab with Future while Bieber’s Purpose was certainly a step in the right direction for him, but it’s not enough to compete. So who takes home Album of the Year? The Recording Academy (the organization that puts on the Grammys) has statistically favored artists that get records off the shelves. Adele sold a cool 10 mil (Diamond certified!) and counting of 25 while Beyonce has only sold one million of Formation. A win here for Adele will make her only the second woman to win two Album of the Year awards, joining Taylor Swift. However, this would be a back-to-back win for Adele, with 21 taking the title in 2012.

25 – Adele • Lemonade – Beyoncé • Views – Drake • Purpose – Justin Bieber • A Sailor’s Guide to Earth – Sturgill Simpson

The 59th Grammy Awards air this Sunday night (Feb. 12) at 8 p.m. on CBS. I predict that Adele’s going to be heading back to the UK with several new pieces of hardware to hopefully bless us with 29 or 30 in the near future.

Rebekah Griggs is a senior at Clemson University completing a degree in Production Studies in Performing Arts with a concentration in Audio Technology and a minor in Business Administration. In addition to serving as a Her Campus writer, she is also a member of TigerPaw Productions, CMA EDU, Grammy U, and is an ambassador for the College of Architecture, Arts, and Humanities. In her free time she loves watching Netflix documentaries, predicting award shows, debating pop culture, and collecting vinyl records.
Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19