The Man, The Myth, The Legend: Pierre Tong

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.
I know you’ve heard of Pierre Tong, but do you really know that much about him? For instance, did you know that even though the junior civil engineering major is Chinese, his name is Pierre because his parents went to college, met, and got married in Grenoble France (and Pierre is their favorite character in the book War and Peace)? He has a younger brother, Andrei, who just started high school, and he is a die-hard for all Boston sports teams- Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, Bruins, and the Revolution. Her Campus Clemson got the chance to catch up with the Boston born-and-bred Campus Celeb.

What kind of things are you involved in on campus?

I’m involved in Central Spirit and FCA. I also occasionally do some stuff with the Outdoors Club and ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers). Lastly, I try to go to as many Clemson sporting events as I can. I think I went to a little over 100 last year including everything from cross country to baseball to rowing to of course football. I should probably spend more time getting my grades up…..

What factors went into your decision to come to Clemson?

I first learned about Clemson at my high school college fair where I met an alumnus who lived in my area. I wanted to go to a large school with big time college sports as well as a great engineering program so Clemson caught my eye. It came down to Virginia Tech or Clemson. I visited both over spring break my senior year of high school and honestly I loved both schools. I had to decide though on May 1st so I took my acceptance letters from both schools, threw them up in the air and the Clemson one came up head first so I went with that. I’m not mad at how that turned out!

What do you think about your ‘Campus Celebrity’ status?

It’s cool because you get to meet a lot of people and it feels good to know that people appreciate all the time I spend procrastinating on Facebook and Twitter. It’s also slightly annoying though because people who don’t know you well (or at all) treat me really weird or awkwardly compared to any other normal person. It also leads to some awkward encounters because of that. Lastly, I’m more of a quiet and low-key kind of person and I would much rather not be in the spotlight so I’m still getting used to the fact that so many people know who I am. I’m just glad I’m not as popular as Sammy Watkins or Tajh Boyd.

You rose to fame with the 2013 class by answering people’s questions on Facebook about anything and everything before they came to Clemson. What made you want to continue doing it for the other classes?

I’m not exactly sure. I actually skipped the class of 2014 on Facebook for the most part so I don’t know too many sophomores. I guess I just have too much time on my hands and I’ve taken on the responsibility of making sure that the freshmen get whatever help they need before they come to Clemson. I’m also on another college forum (College Confidential) where I try and persuade high school students to come to Clemson and answer questions from parents about financial aid or if their “S or D” is going to get into Clemson.

What is the weirdest question you’ve been asked by an incoming freshman (or from any Clemson student) on Facebook? 

Hmm this is a tough question. I don’t actually remember any in recent memory. When classes started this past fall, some freshman messaged me their schedule and asked me to analyze if they had enough time to walk from class to class. I’m sure there are a whole bunch of weird ones that I can’t recall.

Have you experienced any weird encounters with people who recognize you from Facebook?

I was at a Central Spirit meeting this past fall and I think it was the first meeting but I asked a question and a freshman girl from the back yelled “Is that the real Pierre Tong?”, ran up and gave me a hug. There are so many other ones too, just follow me on Twitter (@pierretong) and once in a while you’ll see me mention one.

You’re not at Clemson this semester, what are you doing instead?

I’m working at the Savannah River Site (10 miles south of the Aiken/Augusta area) for the US Forest Service as a civil engineer intern. I work on preparing bid packages for construction projects as well as do help out with some road maintenance or do whatever I’m told to do. It’s not fun being at work at 7 in the morning but I really enjoy my job since there’s a good mix of office work as well as outdoor/field work. It is really weird not being in the Clemson are and I definitely miss it but it’s a nice taste of what life might be like after college.

What’s the idea of your perfect date?

I haven’t really thought about this but it would really depend on who I am dating and whatever makes her happy. But as for an answer that doesn’t sound like a cop out answer, I’d say probably a picnic on the beach or somewhere outside (Pretty Place, Abernathy Park etc…). In all honesty though, for me being with whoever I’m dating would be perfect enough.

If you were stranded on a desert island, and could only bring 3 things, what would you bring?

If I was stranded on a desert island, I would first of all bring a boat and cell phone to get me off the island……just kidding, I would bring a beach chair, book and iPod and take naps forever. This probably has something to do with the fact that I never seem to get enough sleep and why not catch up on it if I’m stranded on a desert island.

Favorite place to eat on-campus:

My favorite place to eat on-campus by far is Schilletter. You’ll find me there if I’m eating on campus. I eat there so much that most of the staff recognizes me and mention when they haven’t seen me in a while. I’m also a big fan of the Chick-Fil-A that we have on campus in the Canteen.

Favorite type of ice cream:

Hmm I don’t know if I can choose. My favorite US flavors are Pistachio and Mint Chocolate Chip. However, when I’m in Hong Kong visiting family, I am addicted to the Pineapple, Coconut and Mango ice cream that they have over there.

Paige is a senior at Clemson University majoring in communication studies and minoring in business and technical writing. Hailing from Northern Virginia, she is the campus correspondent and founder of Her Campus Clemson, as well as VP of membership programming for her sorority, Alpha Chi Omega, and a contributing writer for The Tiger. She loves writing and photography, and after studying abroad in France this summer, she hopes to someday be a photographer and writer for a travel magazine. She has a strong passion (obsession) for social media, and when she's not tweeting or Facebook stalking, you can find her watching Criminal Minds and Glee, inhaling Chipotle burritos, jamming out to swing music, or shopping for new gameday outfits. GO TIGERS!